• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes won't release...

dalej

Just wondering if anyone has had a issue with the park brake not releasing? It has never happened until today... I can not get the truck to roll. It acts like you never push in the park brake. It even sounds different, you know the normal load and unloading of air.... well mine quit sounding like that. The trailer brake seems normal sounding.

Maybe I'll switch the two around and see if it's the valve.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Lmtv772

Banned
1.jpgthumb_IMG_1362_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1363_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1364_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_1361_1024.jpg
Check the three Valves under the driver side cab.
The membrane in them is most likely perished
you can replace with a rebuild kit or get the better shuttle valves instead.
are you losing air pressure when you push the brake pedal?
1.jpg3.jpg2.jpg

diaphragm valve as in the LMTV KN25060
Repair kit for diaphragm valve RN11V
or a shuttle type valve as in the MTV KN25061

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Front gladhands need to breathe if they are clogged up your brakes will lock. Behind the front grill is a check valve if this is bad or clogged your brakes will lock.

dalej

Thanks so much, this is really helpful. I had recently taken off the gladhands in the front and put a 3/8" brass plug in there place. I had made a licence plate bracket and the gladhand covers were in the way. I first will try to move the vented gladhand covers to the rear of the truck.

I really like an understanding of the workings and engineering of these trucks.

I want to remove all of the service and park (emergency) air from the front bumper, is this not a good idea. I just want to have truck/trailer service/emergency. I won't be doing it until I fully understand the pluming of the air system.

Last edited:

dalej

It's rolling again..... I took out the 3/8" brass plugs and put the female air chucks back in that replaced the gladhands. I had just taken out the air chucks and put the plugs in on Thursday and haven't driven it until I tried yesterday.

Thanks so much for the insight and knowledge on this site.

Last edited:

valkrior

Thanks so much, this is really helpful. I had recently taken off the gladhands in the front and put a 3/8" brass plug in there place. I had made a licence plate bracket and the gladhand covers were in the way. I first will try to move the vented gladhand covers to the rear of the truck.

I really like an understanding of the workings and engineering of these trucks.

I want to remove all of the service and park (emergency) air from the front bumper, is this not a good idea. I just want to have truck/trailer service/emergency. I won't be doing it until I fully understand the pluming of the air system.
Hey,
I think I might have done the same thing you did. I removed the front glad hands, capped them off with plugs. I drove it like this for months with no issues. I jumped in it today, and it seems like the parking brake is not releasing. Did you just put the glad hands back on the front, and problem solved? Or, was there something special about the front glad hands? I'm pretty sure I threw those old ones away. So, if there is nothing special about them, I'll just get new ones. Thoughts? Thanks, Jason

Ronmar

Hey,
I think I might have done the same thing you did. I removed the front glad hands, capped them off with plugs. I drove it like this for months with no issues. I jumped in it today, and it seems like the parking brake is not releasing. Did you just put the glad hands back on the front, and problem solved? Or, was there something special about the front glad hands? I'm pretty sure I threw those old ones away. So, if there is nothing special about them, I'll just get new ones. Thoughts? Thanks, Jason
Park brake works in reverse. A capped emer glad-hand can keep you from setting the park brake, not releasing it. You could have a leak or a anti-compounding valve issue. Or a rusted brake shoe…

The proper way to delete the front glad-hands is to bypass/remove the 3 two-way valves under the drivers floor. Look at my utube channel Rronmar, i did a vid, it is fairly easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks