• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes

FreightShaker

Lately I've been doing alot of reading on the brake system of the deuce. From what I've read the biggest worry of the brake system is the single sircuit design and losing all braking power in the event of a failure. My question is this: Has anyone had a complete brake system failure while driving and if so what did you do and how did you stop?

emr

Also remember in the first place these are tactical trucks and not race trucks, no parts on them were designed for speed :) and keep one eye on an escape route at all times, I do that in my daily driver too, just sayin... And be alert , but also remember they are a robust system that has never had a big failure rate at all,They have stood the test of time, it has been human error every brake failure i have seen and or heard of and that has been very very seldom, keep the fluid up, oil the air pack and adjust the brakes correctly, a few threads on that, a MAJOR brake adjustment is needed then 3000 miles after that a minor then 3000 again a major again, these trucks need maintenance, with that done the chances of failure are slim. actually very very slim

emr

I read the thread above, I know the park brake is grabbed in an emergency and I have done it, BUT really get under there and LOOK at it, Do U really think in any stretch it is any where big enough to stop a full size truck, after all it is a parking brake, SOOO with that said, before u or anyone needs to make it the primary braking system , GET UNDER there and GREASE the loints and ADJUST it at LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) and then make sure the pads have pads... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barrman

I have had brake system failures, but always with a warning that kept me in the driveway. Dry master after sitting a while, pedal just a hair low at start up, brake fluid in weird places, funny feel not really related to pedal hight, etc..

Yes, it is a single line system. However, it will let you know in some way before it fails. You just have to see the warning signs. Go through everything, replace all the rubber hoses because they are old and not really that expensive, then pay attention.

WOLFMAN1

i lose brake pressure in my driveway and slammed into the side of my wifes bronco. in reverse. the brakes worked on minute and not the next. the fluid was shooting out of the vent tube on the filler cap. added a hidden brake fluid resivor under the driver seat and haven't had the problem since. airpack needs rebuilt but it still works for the time being. just haven't took it on long road test cause of caution and the safety of others.

WOLFMAN1

tell me about it. limited edition eddie bauer on 33's 3000 dollar stereo and speaker with 2 300 wat amps. 3000 dollar winch on the front all the works of a show vehicle and i crush the door with my truck. she doesn't kill me or make me feel bad often. but need to sell truck for 3000 to pay for a new door and paint job for the bronco. or she told me to buy a better truck she hates this one.

WOLFMAN1

the air pack is below and behind the master cylinder of my truck as probably many others. it applies air pressure to the brakes and air wipers and air horn for the truck. also air brakes for trailers that you might hook up to the truck. the air pack with air from the tank will stop the truck should it stall and you lose brake pressure. anyone correct me if i am wrong. not 100% sure

WOLFMAN1

man!at least she's going to let you upgrade, what next? a multifuel?
hopefully my wife is afraid i would kill someone with this older model truck. i don't have the funds to fully restore it to what it deserves. my bum left arm makes it hard for me to steer and shift gears while holding the steering wheel. got a guy who wants to buy my truck i just cant afford to get it too him. looking for all possible options. i cant drive my truck far and age and no power brakes and power steering is hard on my arm. long story of how i got injured.

FreightShaker

I read the thread above, I know the park brake is grabbed in an emergency and I have done it, BUT really get under there and LOOK at it, Do U really think in any stretch it is any where big enough to stop a full size truck, after all it is a parking brake, SOOO with that said, before u or anyone needs to make it the primary braking system , GET UNDER there and GREASE the loints and ADJUST it at LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) and then make sure the pads have pads... GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you're saying about the park brake not being able to stop the truck. I never really figured it would do much good unless you were going really slow. So basically as long as you keep it maintained there shouldn't be a problem.

OD_Coyote

When I was in the Navy we had a saying that applied to equipment on board the ship and which applies to the brake system of the Deuce as well, or any other piece of equipment for that matter....."It Works Fines And Lasts A Long Time With Proper Care and Maintenance."
Do the PMs and she will treat you well.

Barrman

I have to jump in again. The air compressor on the engine puts air in the air tanks. The air in the tanks is then used for the air pack with the brakes, air horn if the truck has one, air wipers and constant air for the emergency break away safety brakes of a M105A3 trailer.

The air pack itself uses the air to boost the pressure of the brake fluid going to the wheel cylinders. The air pack which is controlled by brake hydraulic pressure also sends air to the trailer air brake service fitting which on a M105A3 uses that air to move a hydraulic master cylinder and make the trailer brakes apply.

Yes, air in the tank if the engine stops running will continue to provide boosted brake assist for many pedal pushes. However, a properly adjusted brake system will stop the truck just fine with no air psi. The pedal will be harder to push, but it will stop just fine.

WOLFMAN1

one of my tanks are in repair and the other stops the truck just fine. i am not willing to test it on the hwy like that until i fix the wet tank. so i figured its best not to kill someone over one less tank and wait till its fixed. but other than that it drives okay.

zak

For those of us who live in states that use salt in the winter be sure and check the steel lines also. I just had one
let loose. Glad it was in the driveway. With as many trucks coming out of service you would think somebody would
start making pre-bent lines

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks