• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brakes

billystuart

Help, my first duece. Brakes. This is what is happening. When backing or driving up a small incline (my back yard) I push in the clutch and the truck will roll backwards, BUT if I press the brake pedal and release it the truck will not move. When I ease out of the clutch it will roll freely. Is this NORMAL???

rrrr

Disconnect the air line out of the compressor and put in a squirt or so. Reconnect and then put a few drops in the back of the airpack. Check the TM there is a place to service it in the back with some air tool oil. A little squirt should work. Start the truck up and let the air circulate the oil and hopefully this will take care of it !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would oiling the air tanks help and I do believe the TM's call for two oz of air tool oil. Realy the best way to oil airpack would be running it through the the control valves so you would have to drop the incomming line for the airpack but they are hard to get to.

rrrr

I agree with the oiling place. Its just so easy to access the out line on the compressor and everything gets some lube then !

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why could you NOT install a in line oiler set to just a one drip every so often, as air is called for, the compressor charges the system and draws the oil, NO oiling when at full pressure and the compressor is unloaded

rrrr

I installed an alcohol sniffer in my air system that I use the airbrake conditioner in it. Suppose to due double duty to keep moisture out and the system lubed.

rrrr

On the road now so can't access the TM's. Just add an oz or two to the out line on the air compressor. Very easy and quick. Make sure you bleed the pressure off the system first at the air packs. This might be enough to get it working right.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why could you NOT install a in line oiler set to just a one drip every so often, as air is called for, the compressor charges the system and draws the oil, NO oiling when at full pressure and the compressor is unloaded
Good I idea. I do have a water trap inline on the incomming AP line on one of the trucks.
Respectifuly I can not see how any oil would make it to the airpack from the air tanks. The oil would not vaporize and the line to the AP is on top of the airtank.
The old style AP has a square plug on the round cover plate on the rear. Remove the plug and don't beafraid to add the oil. The new style you use a line wrench and remove the J tube from the backside top of the air pack and rotate the tube upward to add oil. The outher end is just an O ring so if you pull it out no big deal just keep it clean oil O ring and push it back in. You will lose a little oil out of the line so fill up the tube try not to get to much in your face and reinstall line.

Last edited:

DieselBob

BUT if I press the brake pedal and release it the truck will not move. When I ease out of the clutch it will roll freely. Is this NORMAL???
I'll go a different direction on this one. How about if the brake pedal lever arm is binding on the common shaft that the clutch and brake pedal arms ride on. Might not be letting the master cylinder piston return far enough to uncover the bleed port and release the brakes until the clutch pedal is released. Might just be a loose mounting block for the shaft / arm assembly. Is the return spring intact and pulling the brake pedal all the way back up. Do you have the correct free play for the master cylinder adjustment ?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks