• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand new FMTV spotted

BobS

Re: RE: Some more pictures of the FMTV

cranetruck said:
BobS said:
The big box behind the cab is the engine compartment-the radiator is on top,.....
Doesn't this create problems in rain and snow and how is the air flow into a horizontal radiator hehind the cab? Did you intend to have a cover for it?
Nope-no problems at all, even at the winter PG in Canada. BTW- the HMMWV uses a "flat" radiator too. I used a cover for arctic conditions, along with the Swingfire, per standard requirements. Both the LMTV and MTV (Cummins 6C at 210hp and 6C at 290hp respectively) pulled .7 TE at 7.2mph and 95F deltaT across the cooler at 140F ambient for a total engine out temp of 235F for 48 hours straight per IDF testing procedures. The TAACOM testing was even easier to pass because the high ambient was 120F, not 140F. CAC out temps never exceeded 225F at 140F ambient. Thanks to Cummins and Blackstone.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Some more pictures of the FMTV

I'm taking notes....

So, would you have placed the radiator differently on the HEMTT to gain interior cab space?

BobS

RE: Re: RE: Some more pictures of the FMTV

Depends on the engine selected. The original HEMTT has an 8v92 which has a heat rejection of about 19,000BTU/min. The Series 60 used now is about 1/2 that. There is more that would have to be moved IF the radiator moved or got smaller, but to directly answer you, yes, I would try to remove the cab tunnel and try to fit seats that folded into 2 bunks for the crew, as on the Tatra T813/T815.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread ended in 2008 but contains some excellent information on the early history of the FMTV and early prototypes. Hope other FMTV enthusiasts fine it as informative as I did.

BobS are you still around?

turnkey

FMTV is a great weekend mv to go in...lots of room in the back...friend bought 1 last summer...A few mods to the rig, GPS ..Cup holders... new seats...the ususal stuff....Oh ya ice chest place in the cabin.....Runs great and great for playing in this summer...tow a boat also..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks