• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand new X doors. Who's interested???

Sparo2

Hey everyone,

For a while I’ve been throwing around the idea of making my own doors for the HMMWV but for one reason or another I haven’t had the time. I don’t want soft doors and personally I don’t like the look of the plan B doors. My choice has always been the X-doors but the wife won’t let me spend the $2500 (or more) on a set of doors that just might get trashed while off-roading. So I got to talking to a buddy of mine who specializes in fiberglass and I told him that I wanted to make my own replica X-doors and he said that he might be interested in making molds if there’s enough of a demand for these doors. If the demand isn’t really there than it might not be worth the investment. I told him that I would like to help out the HMMWV community and make a door that’s similar in price (or cheaper if possible) than the used X-doors currently on the market.

How many of you guys would be interested in buying a set of brand new X-doors for around $2500 - $3000. No paint flaking, no delaminating material. Just brand new X-doors and all you have to do is spray on your matching color.

erasedhammer

Hey everyone,

For a while I’ve been throwing around the idea of making my own doors for the HMMWV but for one reason or another I haven’t had the time. I don’t want soft doors and personally I don’t like the look of the plan B doors. My choice has always been the X-doors but the wife won’t let me spend the $2500 (or more) on a set of doors that just might get trashed while off-roading. So I got to talking to a buddy of mine who specializes in fiberglass and I told him that I wanted to make my own replica X-doors and he said that he might be interested in making molds if there’s enough of a demand for these doors. If the demand isn’t really there than it might not be worth the investment. I told him that I would like to help out the HMMWV community and make a door that’s similar in price (or cheaper if possible) than the used X-doors currently on the market.

How many of you guys would be interested in buying a set of brand new X-doors for around $2500 - $3000. No paint flaking, no delaminating material. Just brand new X-doors and all you have to do is spray on your matching color.

Personally I really don't like the look of the mme or plan b doors and the windows don't roll all the way down! But the upside to them is they seal really well with a soft top and and an extremely solid design.

Are you planning on creating a direct replica or are you making your own design that just looks like and x dokor?

Sparo2

That depends on what people want. Personally I was thinking of making something that's a combination of the hummer H1 door and the X-door.

Mas for the plan B doors...ya I heard they seal good on soft tops but in the summer you can cook an egg on them unless you put some kind of insulation on the inside to protect you.

Mario

I would be down for a set if they worked well.
Large window that slides down. Perhaps 2-3 stop points (crack win just barely, half way and all they way), or better yet, have a tension knob that can hold window in any position.
If there was a way to remove window altogether, that would be of benefit.
I would like to know if you're planning on offering a way to insulate it in anyway.
What about the inside -- is there going to be inside panel to hide the mechanism?

Sparo2

I was thinking about offering options like power windows and insulation but obviously this will drive up the cost. I'm definitely going to put power windows and insulation in mines. As for
insulation I was thinking about using a rubberized coating for the inside of the door. A door panel can also be made but again this will drive up the cost. The X-doors are pretty basic and that's what I was looking towards. Just to make the doors more affordable for everyone.

erasedhammer

I was thinking about offering options like power windows and insulation but obviously this will drive up the cost. I'm definitely going to put power windows and insulation in mines. As for
insulation I was thinking about using a rubberized coating for the inside of the door. A door panel can also be made but again this will drive up the cost. The X-doors are pretty basic and that's what I was looking towards. Just to make the doors more affordable for everyone.
This website (http://www.cabinsulation.com/) sells 1/2" and 1" insulation foam equivalent to the insulation used in the slantback roofs. I was thinking about using it for my x doors but they are not that flat inside so it didn't work too well.
But for a solid metal door with a simple design foam like this could be used and it would have a good look.

Personally I would buy a set if the windows actually rolled down and were about the same size as the x door windows, power or not that would be a good option for me.

Also, 2500 for a set of x doors, yet you would be selling your custom doors for 3000? Not cheaper... but if they have stuff that I mentioned above included with that price, it might be competitive with x doors.

Sparo2

how will you attach windows? so, are you saying i can buy the real ones for 2500 or fake ones for 3000?
The windows will be attached the same way they are on the X-doors. With a elevator system and probably a far better one.
And as for your second question, no that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that you can buy a set of doors that are probably delaminating, paint flaking and beat up doors for $2500 or you can buy a set of brand-new doors with all new hardware for $2500-$3000.
As for "fake" doors… There's nothing fake about these doors. Sure they're not original but neither are the tires you probably have on your car.

Sparo2

This website (http://www.cabinsulation.com/) sells 1/2" and 1" insulation foam equivalent to the insulation used in the slantback roofs. I was thinking about using it for my x doors but they are not that flat inside so it didn't work too well.
But for a solid metal door with a simple design foam like this could be used and it would have a good look.

Personally I would buy a set if the windows actually rolled down and were about the same size as the x door windows, power or not that would be a good option for me.

Also, 2500 for a set of x doors, yet you would be selling your custom doors for 3000? Not cheaper... but if they have stuff that I mentioned above included with that price, it might be competitive with x doors.
I agree with you. My whole goal here is to be able to provide a door that does not need anything more then paint for the same price or cheaper then a used door that will most likely need some cosmetic work to it. I'm not in it for the profit. I'm in it so that guys in the market for doors have more options. I love the X doors, don't get me wrong. But those who are selling them want a lot of money for some beat up doors.

Lawdog734

Where the heck are you finding crappy, falling apart x-doors for $2500? Most anymore that actuall sell are sub $2k and aren't all that bad. Sure there are ones that have seen better days, but they sure as heck aren't $2500.

As for your doors. I've yet to see a new-man door that is as stiff and latches as good as the x-doors. The x-doors do leave a lot to be desired, but they typically are better built than a lot of the new stuff and actually have windows that roll down. If you manage to make a door that is superior to the x-door while being as stiff with similar lock-up, I think you'd actually have something. For $2500, I can see them doing well for a set of new doors. I do think $3k is pushing it though.

BLK HMMWV

I was wondering when you might pop up again. After you made your drawings and templates from my doors I thought you might have figured man those are going to be hard to copy.
Glad to see you haven't given up. I don't want to discourage you but somebody just put up a brand new set of doors that look like they just came off the assembly line for $1,650.
The glass was a bit rough . Remember your trying to copy a Kevlar fiber reinforced fiberglass door with a laminated glass window. If it were me I'd forget the X pattern in the door and go for a fiberglass door skinned with metal.
Now you will be competing in the market with the first gen up armored doors. As too the electric windows . what keeps stuff from getting caught up in the actuator. Will the door be 2" + thick .
What kind of locking mechanisms you planning on using.

Sparo2

Where the heck are you finding crappy, falling apart x-doors for $2500? Most anymore that actuall sell are sub $2k and aren't all that bad. Sure there are ones that have seen better days, but they sure as heck aren't $2500.

As for your doors. I've yet to see a new-man door that is as stiff and latches as good as the x-doors. The x-doors do leave a lot to be desired, but they typically are better built than a lot of the new stuff and actually have windows that roll down. If you manage to make a door that is superior to the x-door while being as stiff with similar lock-up, I think you'd actually have something. For $2500, I can see them doing well for a set of new doors. I do think $3k is pushing it though.
I find doors for well over 2k all the time. Craigslist, eBay, etc. I'm not saying deals aren't out there but that's just what I've seen. Making the door stiff will not be a problem.

Sparo2

I was wondering when you might pop up again. After you made your drawings and templates from my doors I thought you might have figured man those are going to be hard to copy.
Glad to see you haven't given up. I don't want to discourage you but somebody just put up a brand new set of doors that look like they just came off the assembly line for $1,650.
The glass was a bit rough . Remember your trying to copy a Kevlar fiber reinforced fiberglass door with a laminated glass window. If it were me I'd forget the X pattern in the door and go for a fiberglass door skinned with metal.
Now you will be competing in the market with the first gen up armored doors. As too the electric windows . what keeps stuff from getting caught up in the actuator. Will the door be 2" + thick .
What kind of locking mechanisms you planning on using.
Hey George, I was hoping I'd run into you again. Thanks again for meeting up with me and showing me your doors. I actually started making a set out of wood and I was going to laminate it in resin and call it a day. Then my buddy saw what I was doing and stated tossing around the idea of making molds and reproducing them. I wasn't too interested until a buddy of mines bought a set of X doors for 2100. He then paid some guy 300 to make them look decent. I just couldn't believe it. He said back in the days guys were picking up a set for $800 and now they're 3x as much. I guess supply and demand.

Anyhow, the numbers are set in stone but it was just a rough price that he through out. He said making the molds is the expensive part. He just wants to make sure he'll at least not lose money on the molds. The higher the production the cheaper we can make the doors. Personally I would love if the doors could start at around 1500 a basic set. Then have available options like power windows, insulation, etc.

Lawdog734

I find doors for well over 2k all the time. Craigslist, eBay, etc. I'm not saying deals aren't out there but that's just what I've seen. Making the door stiff will not be a problem.
What they're listed for and what they sell for are entirely different. The market price on x-doors peaked about 8-12 months ago where yes, $2000+ dollars wasn't uncommon, but it's somewhat relaxed again. The days of $800 a set are long gone - but definitely not $2500 a set. Anyone who pays that much is a moron. Any paid services that bring it to a certain level shouldn't be figured into the cost since most folks just do it themselves nor do they need that much work.

I'm pointing out the price of x-doors since it helps establish a better picture of what you're offering. Saying that you can buy a set of new, similar doors for essentially the same price or a little more than what's currently out there of course sounds very appealing, not so much when they're significantly more. I personally think the market for new manufactured doors are fairly limited - look at how many people scoff at the price of x-doors as it is. The currently available aftermarket doors aren't exactly cheap and aren't flying off the shelves either - usually they're included in some sort of package in a truck they're selling. Asking on an Internet forum is very limited market research - for every 10 people that would say they're interested, you'd be lucky if 2 actually bought a set. Of course, it's hard to know for sure without a finished set and final pricing too. Your guy needs to figure out based on his costs for the mold, materials and labor how many he needs to sell to hit his break even point and then if it's worth it to him.

Action

Are you going to use factory seals and channels, window guides, and window frames? Or will it just be some rubber riveted to the sides? What sbout interior handle to get out? Original style with armrest or custom?

Sparo2

What they're listed for and what they sell for are entirely different. The market price on x-doors peaked about 8-12 months ago where yes, $2000+ dollars wasn't uncommon, but it's somewhat relaxed again. The days of $800 a set are long gone - but definitely not $2500 a set. Anyone who pays that much is a moron. Any paid services that bring it to a certain level shouldn't be figured into the cost since most folks just do it themselves nor do they need that much work.

I'm pointing out the price of x-doors since it helps establish a better picture of what you're offering. Saying that you can buy a set of new, similar doors for essentially the same price or a little more than what's currently out there of course sounds very appealing, not so much when they're significantly more. I personally think the market for new manufactured doors are fairly limited - look at how many people scoff at the price of x-doors as it is. The currently available aftermarket doors aren't exactly cheap and aren't flying off the shelves either - usually they're included in some sort of package in a truck they're selling. Asking on an Internet forum is very limited market research - for every 10 people that would say they're interested, you'd be lucky if 2 actually bought a set. Of course, it's hard to know for sure without a finished set and final pricing too. Your guy needs to figure out based on his costs for the mold, materials and labor how many he needs to sell to hit his break even point and then if it's worth it to him.
I understand what you're saying but the reason why I would factor the repair cost into consideration is because there are those that don't have the time, patience or know-how to do it themselves. I do 100% of all the work myself and enjoy it but if I had a choice between buying some doors that don't need any work at all for a few hundred more I would probably take it. Only so that I can just put them on and drive. Of course the condition will make a difference in deciding which route to go but you get my point.

Like I said, the prices aren't set in stone and it was just a quick conservation we had. I just wanted to see if there was a market out there. Again, all I want is to make the X-doors more affordable and if I can't do that then I won't proceed with the idea.

Sparo2

Are you going to use factory seals and channels, window guides, and window frames? Or will it just be some rubber riveted to the sides? What sbout interior handle to get out? Original style with armrest or custom?
I want to use as much original hardware as possible. So factory seals, laches, channnels, etc, etc is what I'm aiming for. Of course if there's anything that I find that needs improving I will also look into.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks