• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Break-In oil for the low hour MEPS

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I noticed nobody has mentioned anything about break-in oil.

My MEP-802A had 14 hours on the meter (3/07 unit) so it really has been sitting a while. But with so low hours, I wanted to change the oil and all the filters. I put in break-in oil. Sometimes the meters are not true, but in this case, it is actually had 14 hours.
Something to remember for low hour units, and low hour reset units. Whether they still have the break-in oil tag or not.

I used John Deere Break In Plus on the MEP-802A.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I am now changing my oil. I put a bunch more hours on my unit with the break-in oil, and I feel the unit is broken in. I am going to Deere Plus-50 II 15/40 oil.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
You would want to use break-in oil for the simple reason that the engine is new. The break-in period can be different for engines. Most first fill oils are what is known as detergent free. (non-detergent) The break-in process helps set the piston rings. That is why most break-in oils are changed out to a standard oil after a short amount of hours

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I also found out the Depot rebuilds and the new 3rd generation AMMPS all start out with John Deere Break-In Plus oil. (y)

Last edited:

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I received a low our unit 11.8 hours, documented paperwork says the military put 15-40 in unit? As to lower Breakin oil I was going to do a change with the John Deere plus break in oil but my question is why would the documentation paperwork certified and sealed say they put 15-40 in the unit?

Thank you,

dependable

View attachment 668977
Thought this might help someone looking for break in info. Was on a reset i recently bought. Break in period is 100hrs.
I had the same tag on my 802, which had 10 hrs after rebuild/reset. Of course the fluids were drained. After some deliberation, I decided to put regular 15/40 in it, it runs well and fairly smoke free, so I think the rings are set.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

OK, some folks do not understand what break-in oil is. Any new or rebuilt engine uses break-in oil.

The John Deere Break-In Plus oil is in the 10w-30 range. It is non-detergent, so the film builds for break-in. Plus lots of other technology for the break-in process. The break-in period is 100 hours. If you think your unit is broken in 10 hours, so be it. Tell the engineers at the factory too.

Yes, you could always use standard 15w-40 oil. Standard oil is detergent based.

Breaking in a engine is very important for the life of the engine.

Last edited:

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No it was just a OEM data on the mep-803a from the military documented on their paperwork. I guess they put 15-40 in it that's why I asked the question.
I'm going to change with JD +
Break in for another 90 or so hours.

Thank you,

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Properly breaking in an engine is absolutely critical to long healthy engine life.
There is a reason for the 100 hours and it’s not only for the rings to set.
It’s for EVERYTHING that’s oiled to set.

Sure it will run fine with 15/40w at 5 hours, but it will not last as long before rebuild.
I love the “fairly smoke free” comment.
Rings haven’t set yet and the smoking will get worse.

Oil is cheap. Rebuilds are not.
Worse is it not performing when it’s really needed.

Follow the factory recommended Break-In procedure, keep up with required maintenance, and it will last for decades.

dependable

Properly breaking in an engine is absolutely critical to long healthy engine life.
There is a reason for the 100 hours and it’s not only for the rings to set.
It’s for EVERYTHING that’s oiled to set.

Sure it will run fine with 15/40w at 5 hours, but it will not last as long before rebuild.
I love the “fairly smoke free” comment.
Rings haven’t set yet and the smoking will get worse.

Oil is cheap. Rebuilds are not.
Worse is it not performing when it’s really needed.

Follow the factory recommended Break-In procedure, keep up with required maintenance, and it will last for decades.
Well, sir, the only smoke free diesel I own and maintain is a Tier 4 in a new and fairly expensive machine. The other 16 or so trucks and machines smoke to some degree. By the way, this topic did come up before, and the answer was not as conclusive. Now that someone is on the forum that can give an informed answer (Guy), I'll probably get around to some getting some break in oil for it.

I have to wonder though, 100 hrs is longer break in interval than any other new or rebuilt motor I have ever installed. Perhaps it is easier to stay with standard intervals for the military.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just finished installing the J Deere plus break in oil although mine was 10/40 started unit up got to temperature oil pressure is down around 25 when hot? Your thoughts.
Thank you,

Bmxenbrett

10w30 might be the wrong oil. Idk the mil spec or equivalent but i always run 15w40 in diesels.
25psi when hot is just fine.
0.4hr isnt really much of a run time. These arnt gas engines. They like to be loaded and dont benefit much from a 30min run every month.

Break in time is 100hrs.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
would you keep the 10/30 in there or change it to the higher grade ? Someone had said this JD+ part # was good. most likely will go with a straight weight later on after the put a few hours on it down here in Florida I think it would be fine keep the pressure up a little.

Thank you,

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
would you keep the 10/30 in there or change it to the higher grade ? Someone had said this JD+ part # was good. most likely will go with a straight weight later on after the put a few hours on it down here in Florida I think it would be fine keep the pressure up a little.

Thank you,
Howdy,
slow down a little.

The John Deere Break In Oil Plus is what the military is using. Letter Kenny Depot buys it in bulk. Break-in oil comes in 1 viscosity. It's the military... Yes, they put oil in, they put Deere Break-in plus in and did not go over and read the fine print which says its 10w/30 oil. They just know they use this John Deere oil on re-build and new units.

The reset manuals all talk about the break-in oil.

It does not matter where you are. That Deere break in oil is the best around. The pressure is fine. You do have to remember these DN2M and DN4M engines are what is known as sloppy precision. It is not a design which was made last year.

Around a 100 hour break-in period. Obviously that could be less if you run the unit at a good 80%-100% load the whole time. No lagging idle time.

That is me. A 2007 MEP-802A with 14 hours on it. Still the factory break-in oil and filters. That was way to long for my taste with it sitting that long. I drained it and filled it with the Deere Break-in Plus oil. All the filters as well. I have a surplus load bank. I have put this MEP-802A through its paces. It holds loads and works great. When it is started, it runs for a few minutes with no-load to get some temp up, then I start to bring up the loads. I will run it loaded around 85% for at least 5 hours every time I start it. I have now drained the break-in oil and changed the filter. I am using the Deere Plus-50 II 15W-40 oil.

Acquired a Military surplus load bank

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks