• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Breaking Down Tires

roady

How about some tips for tires back on. I got them broke down but can not for the life of me get them back on. I have some 11X20's and 2 14.5X20's that I picked up today at the Aberdeen show. I am trying to get them on the factory Deuce rims and could not get the tire to go down far enough to get the lock ring back on. I have tried setting the tire and wheel on a 5 gallon bucket and have a compact Kubota tractor with forks that I tried putting some down pressure and could not get it to sag far enough. Where do start when putting the lock ring back on? Do you just completely reverse the procedure from taking it off?

Thanks guys for any help

pittdog

Well Mr If I was still in a MP we can knock out in 30 MIN ! .. but , I'm to old .. I'll take it to a truck stop ! they got the gear to do the split ring stuff ... M35A2 owner !

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid $10 a tire to have the tubes replaced on the deuce , and a 20yr old girl did them while wearing a dress;

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK AndyC, where are the pictures of the 20 year old girl changing the tires in a dress????

nopics

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have to get the pics from my moms camera.... she is in Nokomiss Fl. Will have to get her to email them. The girl is a Menonight and wears a dress all the time. She works at Tower Hill Tire in Boonsboro Md. Owed by Menonights...great people and great prices.

roady

I may be wrong but I swear I have read on hear the 14.5x20 should never be installed on a stock rim.
Baxter,

I thought I have read here somewhere that you could. I will search around a little and see what I can come up with again. I am no way the expert when it comes to these tires and wheels. I may have to go find that girl in the dress to do mine......

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Now I understand AndyC. I'm familiar with Mennonites. My brother in law lives in Montezuma, GA and there are a lot of them living in the area.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be wrong but I swear I have read on hear the 14.5x20 should never be installed on a stock rim.
Believe you are right, the 14.5R20 needs about 10 inches of rim width.
The image below is from JasonC and I'm pretty sure this kind of damage is the result of the rim (wheel) being to narrow... correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

roady

cranetruck,

That doesnt look good at all. Why would to narrow of a wheel cause that kind of damage. Not doubting or questioning you by know means just learning. I was able to get my 14.5X20 mounted today and thinks it looks good but now I am not to sure about it. Took lots of soap and some down pressure to get the lock ring on but not to bad. I did have a buddy helping me though. Here is a picture of it. I also built a stand to aid in the installation and will serve as a grinder stand when done with the tires. All in all a good day in the shop.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe you are right, the 14.5R20 needs about 10 inches of rim width.
The image below is from JasonC and I'm pretty sure this kind of damage is the result of the rim (wheel) being to narrow... correct me if I'm wrong.
That tire looks like a catastrophic failure for sure! Hope the resulting loss of vehicle control was not even more dis-a**-ter-ous!

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
one more thing no one has said is that the opening for the lock ring always goes opposite the valve stem. When I did tire work we always used Murphy's oil soap to mount/ dismount tires. Did a lot of container wheels and for the real stuck ones gas and 5 min usually got them lose. I still have all my tire tools and wont part with them. If any one in east Tn. ever needs help with tires Ill be glad to help, not as fast as i used to be but can still do a few. I'm looking for a few for my truck the fronts are dry rotted from sitting I got sticker shock when i priced new 900/20s.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I stated, don't know, but it looks like it let go at the rim and tore up as shown.
With a wheel width 3 to 4 inches narrower than minimum specified by the manufacturer could put a lot of pressure outwardly IMHO.
The sidewalls are not built like they are on a bias ply tire and would tear perpendicular to the thread. See image and notice how the cords run from the bead to the tread in the sidewall.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: lube for getting tire on/off - I learned in chemistry like dissolves like, so petroleum-based lubes and rubber are indeed a no-no. I use a silicon-based oil and have found it works well. Now to my current problem. I blew the holy crap out of my M35A3s middle tire on the passenger side coming home from Lowe's last week. I think the CTIS had malfunctioned because the tires were in excellent shape with no visible dry rot. Anyway, I've stripped the CTIS plumbing off all 6 wheels and installed normal shrader valves and pumped them up to 55 PSI. Now I need to figure out how to strip down the blown tire's wheel. I removed the beadlock lugnuts all the way around the outside edge of the wheel and tried a small airchisel to try and pry between what is left of the tire and rim, but nothing gives. Anyone know how to do this?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your in for a good fight. A tire hammer or hydraulic bead breaker is what you need to get it done.

The reason the tire blew apart is the CTIS leaks down and the flat tire has 13,000lbs sitting on it. That breaks the belts in the tire and makes it weak. Form there its just a matter of time before the tire blows out.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a hydraulic bottle jack (8 ton) and put the tire under the front of the deuce using the frame to jack against. It took me about 30-40 minutes to get it off the rim, but it's the first one I'd done in about 20 years. I have 3 more to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks