• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brett09's M1008 build thread

Brett09

In the next couple of weeks I'll be replacing the 6.2L/Th400/NP208 for a 5.9L VE pump Cummins/NV4500/NP205. Currently I have added the Banks Sidewinder Turbo System. Though is was a nice bump in the power I still wanted more.

Based on other similar builds, engine modifications and trans setup I should go from the current (Banks claimed) 200ish rwhp to the 350-400 rwhp range (we'll see then things are said and done). Should add a lot more fun to the skinny pedal. :driver:

List of engine mods.
Advance pump timing 1/8"
Replace the governor spring.
Replace the fuel pin with a Deny T Stage 2
Upgrade the turbo compressor housing and wheel
Replace the injectors with SDX 5x .012s

The transmission shouldn't have any issues holding up to the projected HP numbers. Many people claim the stock clutch would do okay too, but opted for a South Bend clutch and flywheel package anyways.

As of right now I'm waiting for the last of the parts to come in before I start. I'll try and take lots of pictures and note the steps I took for this conversion so others considering this swap will have a better idea what they are getting into.

:beer:

Attachments

Brett09

I was going to try and sell all of it as one package, radiator to drive lines. If I can't find any bites then I'll be parting it out. You're the first in line.

Brett09

Just got in the last of the parts today, other then the new injectors. I can add them later. Everything looks really nice, other then the cross member from Tennessee Diesel Conversions. The welds where full of pits and it came in a raw/rusty finish. Guess I expected a bit more pride in their work for what they charge.... I'll just grind out the welds and fix it myself.

Attachments

Brett09

Yeah, haven't added anything up really. Think this will be one of those on going never gets done projects. That's just the way I like it. I really enjoy working on it and driving it.

Brett09

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to posting. I wanted to take a bunch of pics for others thinking about this swap will know whats involved. So....on with the pics.

First thing I did was drain all the fluids and disconnect anything that tied the cab to anything. I opt to remove the cab to give me more room to work with and clean up everything.
IMG_20130704_112502_225.jpg

I got the radiator out and all the connections on the front disconnected. The radiator must have been replaced at not that long ago, it was in great shape.
IMG_20130704_114108_461.jpg

Sorry some of the pics came out blurry. Next was removing the connections from the driver and passenger sides. I was hoping I could keep the turbo on since it was such a pain in the bum to get it in. To my surprise is wasn't all that bad getting it out.
IMG_20130704_135708_080.jpgIMG_20130704_174252_639.jpg

The tires had to come off so I could get the lift on a safe place on the cab. Other then that it was pretty much 6 bolts and up up and away.
IMG_20130704_174311_397.jpgIMG_20130704_182946_997.jpgIMG_20130704_182959_830.jpg

I forgot to get the rest of the pics off of my phone, which is dead :evil:, so I'll post some more later.

Brett09

Got the phone all charged back up last night. Here's the rest of the pics from last weekend.

Once everything came out I gave everything a good blast with the pressure washer. Everything looks to be in good working order. I plan on moving the fuel lines and lift pump to the drivers side since the Cummins filter and injection pump are on that side. I'll replace all the rubber and clean out the hard lines. That was pretty much it for that go around. I did have one issue. Someone replaced the casters on the cherry picker with some WAY under rated ones. I was laughing as the wheels folded under when weight was added as expected. I trip down to Horrible Freight took care of that issue.
IMG_20130706_114934.jpgIMG_20130706_114944.jpgIMG_20130706_114958.jpgIMG_20130706_115026.jpgIMG_20130706_163335.jpg

This weekend I plan on getting the motor back in and fuel lines hooked up. I have a few things to do on the motor but that about all I can do. I'm a huge bone head and forgot to get the new trans crossmember.

Brett09

Here's what I got done last weekend.

I had to remove the drivers side mount for the motor mount to get the engine cross member out. The mount itself just unbolts so that saved some time vs removing rivets. Once it's out of the way its just a matter of knocking the old rivets out and removing the cross member. It took a little time but wasn't that bad over all.
IMG_20130713_142129.jpg

I gave everything a once over and hit a few areas with a rattle can. The aftermarket cross member lacks finish but makes up in hours saved in trying to make one yourself. It came bare metal with a couple rough (pitted) welds. It's build like a brick s&*t house though and I have no question it will hold up just fine. A couple of threads needed to be retapped. Once everything was fitted together hand tight and looked kosher all the bolts got tightened up.
20130714_134850_1.jpg20130714_134914.jpg20130714_134926.jpg20130714_134942.jpg

The carter fuel pump and fuel line where removed from the passenger side and will be moved to the drivers side after the engine is in place.
20130714_135021.jpg

Not much to say here. Just popped the new mounts on the engine and dropped it in.
20130714_135102.jpg20130714_155907.jpg20130714_155917.jpg20130714_155942.jpg

The trans member came in this week so it should be in and about buttoned up this weekend....to be continued.

Brett09

Well I finally found my lost cell phone that had all the pics to finish this part of the build part of my build thread. Wouldn't you know it was the last place I left it....well kind of.

Brett09

Having an issue getting them off of my phone. Here are some of them.
Phone dump 101.jpgPhone dump 102.jpg
I moved the fuel lines to the drivers side.

I spoke to soon the rest showed up. After bleeding the lines the engine fired up, after sitting for 3 years that I know of, without any hesitation. I replaced the front and rear seals as well as the water pump.
IMG_20130726_184328.jpg

Here's the leftovers from the project. :)
IMG_20130824_122934.jpgIMG_20130824_122942.jpgIMG_20130824_123019.jpgIMG_20130824_123040.jpg

At that point I was in kind of a hurry to get things put back together and get out of the way. I'll take some more pics of the finished product later. Its not everyday people are nice enough to give you a little space in their place of business and flat out refuse to take even a dime. Thanks Dusty and George for your help and a little place to get this done.

There has been a lot looks but few comments on this thread. I know this is a MV site and a lot of you like things unmolested, but if anyone is interested I'll be adding a vintage AC unit, gauges, radio (and lot of it), alarm for keyless entry, turbo timer and other odds and ends. If not no biggie. I just don't want to waste the time posting if its not this forums cup of tea. Also once I sell the old drive train I'll be adding a air to water intercooler and paint...well bedliner. I used up all the funds ordering the previous stuff. You know how that goes. :beer:

Last edited:

fitz

I've been following your build, I like the idea. I didn't post because I don't have any experience with a swap like this.
I would be interested to know the total cost involved and the mpg's of your truck when done.
Good luck with it.

Randyw

I think this is an awesome build. You have done an excellant job so far and I have enjoyed following your progress. This is the build I want to do to my truck when I get my shop completed. Please keep us updated with pics and all the info you can. Thank you!

Brett09

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure this had appeal to people.
As far as the total cost involved I stopped counting to be honest. I'd imagine one could be done for pretty cheap if you got the right truck to pull the parts out and resold or recycled every last thing you could.
Its the extras that have been killing the wallet. I don't mind though, this truck has put a smile on my face since day one.
I've head of guys getting in the 20's with a similar setups. With the current tires and gearing it has I've be happy with 16-18 on the hwy. Once I get the new gauges I'll be able to know.
I was able to slip out and grab a couple of shots while the kids stop trying to kill each other for a few. I'll be able to take more with this next step in the project since I'm doing it at home.
I am just waiting for Santa in the brown truck to come. My inbox is full of invoices, this should be fun.

20131202_153753.jpg20131202_153819.jpg20131202_153845.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks