• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bridge plate yellow?

Elwenil

Per Technical Bulletin 746-93-1:

All single vehicles with a gross weight of over 3 tons, and all trailers with a rated payload exceeding 11/2 tons, are classified for the purpose of bridge crossing, per FM 5-36. Each single vehicle and vehicle combination has a classification number for empty, cross-country loading, and highway loading. The classification numbers are used to determine whether a bridge, correspondingly classified, can be safely crossed.
All applicable self-propelled vehicles not towing other vehicles will carry a circular sign of 9 inch diameter with the vehicle's classification number in black on a yellow background. This will normally be located on the front of the vehicle toward the vehicle's right side and below the driver's line of vision.
All applicable self-propelled vehicles towing other vehicles will carry a sign similar in size, design, and location except that the classification number of the vehicle combination will be shown with the letter C in red above the number. A 6 inch yellow circle with the basic vehicle classification number in black will be marked on the right side of the vehicle in a conspicuous location. The towed vehicle will be similarly marked with its basic classification number.
When the classification number of the vehicle is not subject to change, the marking may be applied directly on a suitable surface. On vehicles painted in gloss colours, the markings will be gloss yellow, Colour Chip No. 13538; gloss black, Colour Chip No. 17038; and gloss red, Colour Chip No. 11136. On vehicles painted in semi-gloss or lusterless colours, the markings will be lusterless yellow, Colour Chip No. 33538; gloss black, Colour Chip No. 17038 and gloss red, Colour Chip No. 11136. When the marking is applied directly to vehicles painted in the same or similar colour, the circumference of the circle will be outlined with a black circle .3/4, inch wide.
In usage's where the classification number may change, a sign kit will be utilised which consists of a 9 inch metal disk, a retaining plate, and two sets of five different numeral plates. By installing the retaining plate, the numeral plates will be locked in place. The sign has black numerals on a yellow background and a red C on one side of the retaining plate (figure 14).
This info is for the bridge weight number found normally on the passenger side door, but the yellow paint color should be the same as the bridge plate which is described as yellow further down the same page of the TM. Here is a link:

http://www.vietnam.net.pl/TB746/Section1.htm

Look under Section III, article #14.

Tin Medic

Bringing this thread back to life. I see several different shades of yellow but has anyone found the "right" shade? Also, was there no prep work on the plates? The plate I have appears to be be yellow straight on metal with no primer. Is this correct or has mine been redone in its past?

Whiterabbit

JCB yellow is darn near right on.
I sprayed one awhile back and it's "good enough" in my opinion. My old plate was flaking/rusty and there was no primer under it's paint.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Here's a pic of the bridge plate on my brother's m37. The numbers are original, the combination plate and backing plate were painted with military gloss yellow. NSN 8010-00-852-9033 Color number 13538. A google search of 13538 shows a lot of results calling it "chrome yellow".

Attachments

Tin Medic

Thanks Jon. When the plate was painted it appears they applied a self etching primer which adhered itself to the yellow paint. The numbers are coming clean but there is an abundance of 0's so I may need to reapply the numbers to get a complete set.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
A friend of mine gave me a bunch of old military paint and some of this yellow was in there. It worked pretty good for being over 25 years old.

Since 13538 is a federal color they might be able to mix it at a paint store, like a lot of SS members are doing at home depot for other military colors.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was redoing my deuce I looked and looked for the right color and I ended up with the Rustoleum line marking paint.
Also the rustoleum Caterpillar paint is very close but the line paint was closer.
The line paint is a little of a pain due to having to spray the can upside down.

Last edited: