• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing an M35A2 out of the trees and back on the road

targhee trucks

m35a2 left.jpg

m35a2 right.jpg

m35a2 chainsaw.jpg

m35a2 dash.jpg

I've decided to start this thread now even though it will probably be a week or two before I begin working on this truck. It is a 1966 Kaiser Jeep according to the data plate on the dash.

My "little summer project" is to get some old military trucks running for my son-in-law. He recently purchased the family farm from his dad. These trucks were used by his dad and grandfather years ago. They haven't run in decades.

I have two threads going in the Early Deuce forum. "Trying to get two M220's . . . " and "Boyce Reman . . .". You can go there for more on the back story if you're interested. I've been getting a lot of good help and encouragement from the guys there.

I am a novice with regards to military trucks. But to my untrained eye the cab and chassis look to be all there and mostly original.

I just barely got the chainsaw started when I got called away, so it still looks just like it does in the pics I took a week or so ago. I'm hoping to get back on the chainsaw next week and at least get it to the point that we can pull it over to the shop and begin work on it.

I'll post more after the work begins.

Jack

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your in the right place for help!

Looks like a great project.

Copybell

From the picture you took of the dash...... I can see that the switch is in the 'off' position.

This means the battery has not been drained, and is ready to go........

Just crank it right up!!!

Just thought you would want to know.

Copybell

targhee trucks

From the picture you took of the dash...... I can see that the switch is in the 'off' position.

This means the battery has not been drained, and is ready to go........

Just crank it right up!!!

Just thought you would want to know.

Copybell
I like that kind of optimism! Thanks!

Jack

pinzgauer pete

There is a fellow in PA that has one in his backyard in much the same situation as yours.. hasnt moved in over 18 years but somehow I bet with a little time and effort even that truck would run again. I wish you luck with yours please post lots of pics..we all love to share in your progress.:D

Durango_USMC

Anyway to change out the batteries where its at and add a little fuel and a couple filters? Might be able to get it started and just drive out from its camoflage ;) Oh and check the fluids too. Never hurts to hope. Best of luck.

targhee trucks

Anyway to change out the batteries where its at and add a little fuel and a couple filters? Might be able to get it started and just drive out from its camoflage ;) Oh and check the fluids too. Never hurts to hope. Best of luck.
Yes, could do that after some chainsaw work. I'm always a bit concerned about bad wiring, especially from mice. I can't get a hose to it where it now sits. Had that happen one spring when I started a car that had sat in the garage all winter. Car filled up with smoke while I was driving it, burned up the harness. Hate it when that happens.

But, I sure like the idea of driving it out. Have to give that some more thought.

Jack

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FWIW, my M543A2 had sat for over a decade. I simply tossed in new batteries. Turned the switch on (but didn't turn my hand loose) looked for smoke, saw none. Got out, opened the bleeder screw on the primary filter, got fuel there (Nasty fuel I might add). Then moved up top and purged air on the secondary filters. Then I cracked the injector lines and bumped the starter a few times. Got fuel there too. Tightened the lines back down. Then went in to bump the magic button again. It roared to life.

I did have brake issues, and the turbo was rusted siezed up. But a cleaning up of the turbo and some brake work has it rolling again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks