• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing back to life a 2009 HMMWV M1165A1 from GovPlanet - total newbie, please help...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That kit is $119 with shipping now, for the difference I can hook up some wire.
I will order another one for my m1165 I just got. It’s not that much and it looks like it belongs there. I’m sure your skills are way better than mine. I can’t believe it’s went up that much. Electrical wiring is my Kryptonite. I like it because it taps into the tail lights and it comes with instructions clamps and zip ties.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still need to do this on my 3-speed. But can anyone point me to where to buy the wire? I ordered it from Federal Military Parts and it never showed up. And they never replied to my emails. So until either I get a refund or it shows up, I'm not buying anything else from them.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a traditional General Motors backup switch that comes without wires but tabs for generic wire crimp type terminations. 12-15 bucks rather than $50 and up. It fits right into the shifter in the proper area. Screws right in. When I upgraded to a four-speed, that came with the switch included.

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still need to do this on my 3-speed. But can anyone point me to where to buy the wire? I ordered it from Federal Military Parts and it never showed up. And they never replied to my emails. So until either I get a refund or it shows up, I'm not buying anything else from them.
I use quite a bit of SO cord, can get it just about anywhere that sells wire and in different number and gauge conductors, looks like it is at home in most installations.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My attempt was to get matching wire to the HMMWV. Since that stuff certainly feels 'different' to my fingers then the normal multi-strand automotive wire I've used in the past. (Not meaning to derail this, but finding the matching wire was the hardest part of the backup light I found, but if you don't care nothing wrong with 14 gauge automotive wire...)

Reactions: OBX

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could someone please take a clear picture straight on (as perpendicular as possible) of the turn signal label and post it please?

Mine is missing and was thinking to print a new one on mylar or something similar, but don’t have a good picture of it:

D5560860-4C14-4518-AA3D-098146BA3C53.png
Thank you very much!

Last edited:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But there is more, always something to do on these trucks like many others have said…boom…here comes the front differential…I have been noticing very small splashes of oil around the front wheels and in front of the engine under the truck, and finally found the source…the front differential is lightly leaking (it never drips on the floor) around the input drive line (yoke?):

74080F48-FF56-4173-97AF-2C01B5881779.jpeg
There seems to be one or more brackets around the input area, which limits access to work on it while installed.

Could the input seal be replaced without dropping the front differential? (by just removing some adjacent parts?)
Are there other steps required after replacing the seal, like resetting the yoke (I read a lot of posts and that was something that came up) or something else?

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But there is more, always something to do on these trucks like many others have said…boom…here comes the front differential…I have been noticing very small splashes of oil around the front wheels and in front of the engine under the truck, and finally found the source…the front differential is lightly leaking (it never drips on the floor) around the input drive line (yoke?):

View attachment 858556
There seems to be one or more brackets around the input area, which limits access to work on it while installed.

Could the input seal be replaced without dropping the front differential? (by just removing some adjacent parts?)
Are there other steps required after replacing the seal, like resetting the yoke (I read a lot of posts and that was something that came up) or something else?
Perfect job for a SPEEDY -SLEEVE and a new seal of course. Or just a new seal if the yoke is in good shape. You own an impact wrench, right? There is probably north of 150 ft. lbs on the pinion nut.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perfect job for a SPEEDY -SLEEVE and a new seal of course. Or just a new seal if the yoke is in good shape. You own an impact wrench, right? There is probably north of 150 ft. lbs on the pinion nut.
Oh yes, I do have an impact wrench (got a lot of tools to work on the truck, I even have a mill to machine parts if needed, even as I am an electrical engineer, not mechanical), I built the 4 wheels with new tires myself and it would have taken forever to do each wheel 24 bolts twice, like the manual says, 85 ft-lb the first time and once more at 110 ft-lb. I got it down to maybe about 10 minutes to change a tire, but that's another story :)

I saw the SKF Speedi-Sleeves, it looks like a great solution, we'll see if it's needed, I think the yoke is in OK shape.

Ok so I presume the answer is yes, that the seal can be replaced in-place, without having to drop the whole front differential?
Therefore I just need to remove those brackets and the drive line? And no special adjustments to make afterwards? Sorry for so many questions, it's first time I am working on a differential.

Thank you!

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yes, I do have an impact wrench (got a lot of tools to work on the truck, I even have a mill to machine parts if needed, even as I am an electrical engineer, not mechanical), I built the 4 wheels with new tires myself and it would have taken forever to do each wheel 24 bolts twice, like the manual says, 85 ft-lb the first time and once more at 110 ft-lb. I got it down to maybe about 10 minutes to change a tire, but that's another story :)

I saw the SKF Speedi-Sleeves, it looks like a great solution, we'll see if it's needed, I think the yoke is in OK shape.

Ok so I presume the answer is yes, that the seal can be replaced in-place, without having to drop the whole front differential?
Therefore I just need to remove those brackets and the drive line? And no special adjustments to make afterwards? Sorry for so many questions, it's first time I am working on a differential.

Thank you!
I eyeballed my 1123 and it looks like the drive shaft will have to be moved aside, looks like the carrier bearing will have to removed also, big nut off, pull yoke out, seal out, clean, replace seal...... their is a TM on this that spells it all out..... too busy to read today, but looks straight forward. My torque cheat sheet did not list a value for the input pinon but the out puts were like 166 and up...... needs research here.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I eyeballed my 1123 and it looks like the drive shaft will have to be moved aside, looks like the carrier bearing will have to removed also, big nut off, pull yoke out, seal out, clean, replace seal...... their is a TM on this that spells it all out..... too busy to read today, but looks straight forward. My torque cheat sheet did not list a value for the input pinon but the out puts were like 166 and up...... needs research here.
Excellent, that gives me some very good direction, thank you!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the seal will wear a groove in the yoke. When I replaced the seal on my M37 it needed the speedy sleeve. I got some good advise from Vintage P W. Put the yoke in the freezer for a day, warm up the speedy sleeve. The sleeve will slide right on. Once they become the same temperature they will very tight. Worked real good for me.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the seal will wear a groove in the yoke. When I replaced the seal on my M37 it needed the speedy sleeve. I got some good advise from Vintage P W. Put the yoke in the freezer for a day, warm up the speedy sleeve. The sleeve will slide right on. Once they become the same temperature they will very tight. Worked real good for me.
It sounds like excellent advice…yoke contraction vs sleeve dilation…thank you!

EDIT: I saw there is a differential seal tool, but it’s made out of plastic and it breaks easily? Is there something specific you used to install the seal?

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter

EDIT: I saw there is a differential seal tool, but it’s made out of plastic and it breaks easily? Is there something specific you used to install the seal?
Not that I remember. I did this a long time ago and I suffer CRS. The seal was on the transfer case but the process should work to install a sleeve on any yoke. Someone else will have answer your question about a tool to install the seal. If it presses in place, I probably made a tool out of a piece of pipe…

Action

yes. I use the plastic seal installers. Jobs can be much easier when you have the right tool.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not that I remember. I did this a long time ago and I suffer CRS. The seal was on the transfer case but the process should work to install a sleeve on any yoke. Someone else will have answer your question about a tool to install the seal. If it presses in place, I probably made a tool out of a piece of pipe…
CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN..... carefully tap into place with a plastic mallet(hammer). If I remember there is a lip on the seal that ends up flush when its seated. A block of wood will work BUT it has to be started evenly first. These are usually not real tight........... for whats it worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks