• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing back to life a 2009 HMMWV M1165A1 from GovPlanet - total newbie, please help...

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there are 3 nutsert holes in the body around your fording intake stack. Can you see marks in the paint from where this was on your truck? They hold a flange that connects to elbow on bottom and the rubber sleeve on top. But this uses a shorter intake stack...

View attachment 854840
Here are the pictures, it looks like there were no screws or other parts installed in those nutserts. (the rubber elbow lost the paint on its edges when I replaced the air canister):

Air Cleaner3.JPG

Air Cleaner4.JPG

BTW, I was able to finally drive it with the GPS on the freeway and it went up to about 81mph.
I would like to have it run around 85-88mph at 2500rpms, where the engine sounds very buttery :)
Found this article about increasing the fuel supply to the injection pump:

I am all about measurements and can see how to add a thermal probe to get the EGT, but how about the transmission temperature? Is there a temp sensor already inside? Any other sensors on board that are maybe used for diagnostics, and which could be used for external measurements like the boost PSI?

I would think the engine has a lot more margin than that, but truthfully, you guys are the experts.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the pictures, it looks like there were no screws or other parts installed in those nutserts. (the rubber elbow lost the paint on its edges when I replaced the air canister):

View attachment 855062

View attachment 855063

BTW, I was able to finally drive it with the GPS on the freeway and it went up to about 81mph.
I would like to have it run around 85-88mph at 2500rpms, where the engine sounds very buttery :)
Found this article about increasing the fuel supply to the injection pump:

I am all about measurements and can see how to add a thermal probe to get the EGT, but how about the transmission temperature? Is there a temp sensor already inside? Any other sensors on board that are maybe used for diagnostics, and which could be used for external measurements like the boost PSI?

I would think the engine has a lot more margin than that, but truthfully, you guys are the experts.
You might want to think this one over a little???? I know I for one would not want to be in one of these trucks at 85 when a connecting rod falls out a hole in the side of the block. Just my 2 cents.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to think this one over a little???? I know I for one would not want to be in one of these trucks at 85 when a connecting rod falls out a hole in the side of the block. Just my 2 cents.
I wouldn't want to be in one at 85 either, but then again they don't go that fast even with replacement crown gears, (and I'm not 85 y.o. if that's what your implying either LOL)

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Understood, and at what speed would you feel OK in one of these trucks? 75mph? It does that with no effort,
In my thinking, (which could be wrong as I am not a mechanical engineer, so I just extrapolate from power engineering) my truck was designed (including the connecting rods, at least on paper) to handle 12,100lbs GVW and a 4870lbs payload, but I am running mostly empty, with just passengers, therefore I would imagine that there is a lot of margin to trade the unused 4,000 lbs payload (over 50% of the truck 7,200lbs weight) against a 10% increase in mph, from 80moh to 88mph at 2500rpm, so the engine sounds more composed.
Am I out in the woods with the thinking, given your experience and understanding?

Action

Understood, and at what speed would you feel OK in one of these trucks? 75mph? It does that with no effort,
In my thinking, (which could be wrong as I am not a mechanical engineer, so I just extrapolate from power engineering) my truck was designed (including the connecting rods, at least on paper) to handle 12,100lbs GVW and a 4870lbs payload, but I am running mostly empty, with just passengers, therefore I would imagine that there is a lot of margin to trade the unused 4,000 lbs payload (over 50% of the truck 7,200lbs weight) against a 10% increase in mph, from 80moh to 88mph at 2500rpm, so the engine sounds more composed.
Am I out in the woods with the thinking, given your experience and understanding?
The 12.1k GVWR includes the payload. Right now, what speed does your truck do at 2500 rpm? 50-55?

Last edited:

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12.1k GVWR includes the payload. Right now, your truck probably is doing 50-55 at 2500 rpm.
Yes, of course the 12.1k does include the payload, and my point is that I am running empty, at 7200lbs (if that, I will actually weigh the truck) with just passengers, so I still have over 4,000lbs of unused margin that the engine was designed to handle.

I will check again the rpms vs mph, and from what I remember it was around 70mph at 2500-2700rpms in last gear, but I could be wrong as I was tracking too many things including the cars on the freeway :)

Last edited:

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, of course the 12.1k does include the payload, and my point is that I am running empty, at 7200lbs (if that, I will actually weigh the truck) with just passengers, so I still have over 4,000lbs of unused margin that the engine was designed to handle.
The trucks weight has nothing to do with the "engine margin". My point was "speed", 3000, 7200, or more pounds on oil slick tires and you are just along for the ride. ( I bet it ends bad) If you look at enough trucks with "oil leaks" you see a lot of connecting rods hanging out of the block. The big yellow diesels will run day in and out at 1800 rpm, they are designed for only 2100. I don't think these are quite as robust. There is a reason some young people don't live very long. I'm just amazed I'm still here! My 2 cents.

Action

I will check again the rpms vs mph, and from what I remember it was around 70mph at 2500-2700rpms in last gear, but I could be wrong as I was tracking too many things including the cars on the freeway :)
I must just get confused a lot from getting old ,,, but if you currently get 70 mph at 2700 rpm, how in the world do you think you can get 88 mph at 2500 rpm just by turning up the fuel on the IP? Unless you change gearing somewhere, the faster you go, the rpm will continue to increase, not decrease.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trucks weight has nothing to do with the "engine margin". My point was "speed", 3000, 7200, or more pounds on oil slick tires and you are just along for the ride. ( I bet it ends bad) If you look at enough trucks with "oil leaks" you see a lot of connecting rods hanging out of the block. The big yellow diesels will run day in and out at 1800 rpm, they are designed for only 2100. I don't think these are quite as robust. There is a reason some young people don't live very long. I'm just amazed I'm still here! My 2 cents.
Ok, I understand that speed could be a problem in any situation, not sure if the "oil leaks" refer to my engine, I don't have any oil leaks I can see so far.
I only brought up the engine margin vs. the maximum load thinking that you mentioned the rods breaking due to overstressing the engine.
There was some oil mud I wiped out around the front of the engine and weeks later it looks like it was grease splattered from the geared fan side, which seems that someone put a good chunk of gunk on it.
The only leaks I had were minor, related to 3 short fuel line pieces, which I replaced with R14, rated 15 times less permeable than the original R7 tubing that was on the truck and I am planning to replace them all.
I didn't think that these engines were not considered robust, in fact I thought that they were detuned on purpose so they can handle a wider range of thermal, vibration, loading, etc. overall abuse and it's very good to know.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
88mph... Gotta add in the Flux Capacitor - and maybe it is possible.

BackToTheFuture 88mph FluxCapacitor.jpg

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must just get confused a lot from getting old ,,, but if you currently get 70 mph at 2700 rpm, how in the world do you think you can get 88 mph at 2500 rpm just by turning up the fuel on the IP? Unless you change gearing somewhere, the faster you go, the rpm will continue to increase, not decrease.
I
88mph... Gotta add in the Flux Capacitor - and maybe it is possible.

View attachment 855080
Hahaha, but I am so close already at 81mph lol

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power = Torque x RPM and my truck doesn't seem limited by RPM as the RPMs slow down when going uphill with the gas pedal maxed out, so I am thinking that increasing the fuel will increase the torque, therefore the power at the similar RPMs.
It's like increasing Amps in the electrical world at the same Voltage (let's call it RPMs for this case) in order to get more power (Watts), but I am extrapolating and thought someone maybe already went thru crunching the numbers in the mechanical world?

And we are not talking anything crazy like doubling or 50% increase, just a marginal 10% or so improvement.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Power = Torque x RPM and my truck doesn't seem limited by RPM as the RPMs slow down when going uphill with the gas pedal maxed out, so I am thinking that increasing the fuel will increase the torque, therefore the power at the similar RPMs.
It's like increasing Amps in the electrical world at the same Voltage (let's call it RPMs for this case) in order to get more power (Watts), but I am extrapolating and thought someone maybe already when thru crunching the numbers in the mechanical world?
Only thing that needs to be considered almost as much as RPM is the ability to fade that RPM number quickly. Brakes are gonna be important one day and more stopping power might become an issue. Just thinking out loud but are there any measurements for that?

Something moving 25% FASTER than it was designed for could be an issue.

Not trying to beat you down.
Just trying to help you reason out "going fast" and being able to "stop fast" too.

Remember, there are idiots on these roads . . .

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing that needs to be considered almost as much as RPM is the ability to fade that RPM number quickly. Brakes are gonna be important one day and more stopping power might become an issue. Just thinking out loud but are there any measurements for that?

Something moving 25% FASTER than it was designed for could be an issue.

Not trying to beat you down.
Just trying to help you reason out "going fast" and being able to "stop fast" too.

Remember, there are idiots on these roads . . .
Oh yeah, you are totally right, I actually use the breaks example when I talk about large organizations scaling up, everyone focuses on the growth (i.e. more power) and forget that more power requires even more control (i.e. breaks).
Very good point!

I am just thinking out loud exploring all options and if it can be done safely, I may sound crazy, but it;s not that bad lol

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not looking to drive 88mph, but just to be able to keep up with traffic in my area, especially when going uphill, let's say at 80mph max.
I don't care about 99.999 % of the cars that pass me, but in some cases of those anti-man cars like prius, I do feel something, which sometimes makes me search for that HMMWV flux capacitor lol

Last edited:

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I understand that speed could be a problem in any situation, not sure if the "oil leaks" refer to my engine, I don't have any oil leaks I can see so far.
I only brought up the engine margin vs. the maximum load thinking that you mentioned the rods breaking due to overstressing the engine.
There was some oil mud I wiped out around the front of the engine and weeks later it looks like it was grease splattered from the geared fan side, which seems that someone put a good chunk of gunk on it.
The only leaks I had were minor, related to 3 short fuel line pieces, which I replaced with R14, rated 15 times less permeable than the original R7 tubing that was on the truck and I am planning to replace them all.
I didn't think that these engines were not considered robust, in fact I thought that they were detuned on purpose so they can handle a wider range of thermal, vibration, loading, etc. overall abuse and it's very good to know.
Put a rod through the side of the block at 80 and you will find the oil leak real fast. Been nice knowing you.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put a rod through the side of the block at 80 and you will find the oil leak real fast. Been nice knowing you.
[/QUOTE]

That's for sure lol

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am not looking to drive 88mph, but just to be able to keep up with traffic in my area, especially when going uphill, let's say at 80mph max.
I don't care about 99.999 % of the cars that pass me, but in some cases of those anti-man cars like prius, I do feel something, which sometimes makes me search for that HMMWV flux capacitor lol
ABSOLUTELY!

We are going to have fun here!
As we learn about stuff together...

Some of us get to go fast while the rest of us plug along at about 55 or 60.
One speed, Wide Open, and both feet flat on the floor!