• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing "IT" home

dmetalmiki

well today after fixing a minor fault on the wrecker (start switch) I set out to collect "IT" which I had been told of and went to see right away!,,WOW! I aint leaving that (it) allone here says I!..so returned home prepped the wrecker and yanked (scuse the pun!) the best buy yet out of there...I CANT HARDLY B LEEV! the condition..like new..8000 miles..clean as a whistle inside out and under!!...stars first time runs great..hi low 4 wheel drive diff lock freewheel hubs OVERDIVE!..full air con inverters (115 volts) some interior emg kit..stretchers etc..BUT.they took off the emergeancy lights tho (U.S. Airforce base) but left the tones siren etc. so gents i wish to get some lenses to cover the strobes as they are still on .any help in finding a source for these? you can see the covers missing in pictures. any help guidence to getting then appreciated as im keeping this orriginal and not making a camper conversion. it compelements my M45 fire unit and other M trucks i have.

Attachments

jeli

Where did you get it from? My company has a location just outside Cambridge. Always wanted to get to Duxford but haven't had the chance.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have pics or could get them, I would like more info on the A frame lift you used to raise the front of that ford. I looks just like the one on the back of a Chevy wrecker I have seen, and have been thinking of adding to my wrecker. Maybe start a new thread as I'm sure others would be interested. Nice haul by the way!

I think that front lightbar is a Whelen. The corner strobes *might* be too. I also think that the cast aluminum siren speakers u r missing are made by CPI. That is a good looking rig. I am glad that you are leaving it as an ambulance.. few ppl do that anymore.

dmetalmiki

the rear tow set up on my M62 is "holmes" wrecker gear!..and i find it really good and usefull..i was going to cut it off (back to orriginal) but the ease of use and multy function (plus "threats!!!) from other s.s.. members changed my mind. (glad to say as it looks pretty good(impressive?) as well. I would like to purchase the light (strobe) covers is this possible? (and do the military over there remove the light covers sirens etc before sales? (found out today that ALL THE STROBES WORK! fantastic! AND they ARE wheelan. (u win a cooki!). the radio control unit and speakers were missing (apparently SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN)..so have been promised to be returned to me next week..(heres hoping!) will post pics of the wrecking gear later. ((address or phone contact for the strobe covers?? if poss..((are we ALLOWED to buy them?))

dmetalmiki

jeli the depot is RAMCO..and the depot near grantham is WITHAMS.. big dispoal agents. they attend beltring every year with VERY reasnably price items.I towed a zil back from there 4 a next door nieghbour who purchased it from them.

FreightTrain

Banned
You will love that old IDI engine.Make sure you use ONLY SCA charged antifreeze rated for diesels.DO NOT use standard over the counter stuff for cars or trucks.Also check the SCA level even with precharged stuff with test strips.Get it up to snuff and check it every oil change.Keep the levels up to par or else....these engines will cavitate on you if you don't.The Cylinder walls bow out on the compression stroke and power stroke.When the pressure is released the sudden movement of the cylinder wall creates a vaccumn bubble on the waterjacket side and within a nano-second it colapses creating a sonic shockwave.Over the years this little shock wave bores a hole through the cylinderwall and allows coolant to pour through either hydrolocking the engine and bending rods or filling the crank case with coolant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks