• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bringing my new baby home tomorrow... help!

sailor2000

I am picking up my just purchased 1985 AM GEN M35A2 tomorrow morning. It is about a 50 mile drive home. The truck is registered, just passed Texas inspection last month and survived my test drive. What should I check/do before I start her up and drive off?
Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

sailor2000

Boots??? I didn't see anything that resembled boots on the front axle knuckle joints... and I didn't see u joints either... looked like the hemisperical end on the axle joining with a seal on the knuckle that I would have expected on a 1960's CJ5 front axle... am I nuts??

CanonNinja

What did you pay for that truck? I was thinking about having a friend bid on it since it went almost the entire auction without a bid..

and congrats! another Houston Deuce driver :)

dabtl

When you check with the license people, you will find you do not have to inspect the truck. You also can use the hood markings as the 'license plate' in Texas.

Funny, but I have never been stopped by the police for inspection stickers, license plates or any reason at all. They must think it is an active military vehicle.

houdel

sailor2000 said:
Boots??? I didn't see anything that resembled boots on the front axle knuckle joints... and I didn't see u joints either... looked like the hemisperical end on the axle joining with a seal on the knuckle that I would have expected on a 1960's CJ5 front axle... am I nuts??
If you see the following, you are not nuts. If you don't see the following, either you ARE nuts, or your front axle is missing it's knuckle boots.

NOTE: Your boots may be dirty, greasy, not have a zipper, or any combination of the preceding. However, if they are leaking gobs of grease either a clamp popped off or they are torn and need to be replaced. If that is the case, you will probably need to pull the hub off and make sure the seals and bearings are OK.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your "new" truck! Take lots of pics during your pick up trip. :driver:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that's a great shot….Now give us the whole story……we expect pics, video, statistics, pie charts, etc. :p

rockman

Boot zipper in or out

On that axle boot shot, I noticed that the zippers are out and not tucked in. Is that ok as I have tucked mine in and it was tough.

Bill, now in eastern TN.

:?: :idea:

houdel

Re: Boot zipper in or out

rockman said:
On that axle boot shot, I noticed that the zippers are out and not tucked in. Is that ok as I have tucked mine in and it was tough. Bill, now in eastern TN. :?: :idea:
I don't know if it is proper or not, but I just couldn't get it to tuck in, maybe because I waited for the silicone sealer to set up before I tried. All I know is the sucker has ripped again, with less than one year of use, maybe 2-3K miles. D*** cheap a** Chinese crap! Anyone know where I can find a fresh, US made QUALITY boot? The aggravation of swapping the boot out again is much more than the cost of a quality boot in the first place!

sailor2000

dabtl said:
When you check with the license people, you will find you do not have to inspect the truck. You also can use the hood markings as the 'license plate' in Texas.
The people at the Tax office didn't seem to know about that... they happily collected $160 for 1 yrs registration....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks