• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

British Sankey trailer - FV861651

Jon_H

Picked up my ‘new’ Sankey the other night, first impressions are good. It towed well behind the Discovery without any issues, not had a chance to take it out with the Lightweight yet.

The PO had started to fix some rot issues, but never got around to finishing, so I'll need to get that sorted soon. We have a mutual friend who is willing to do the welding, but I still need to clean up the frame and do the prep work.

The PO also did some purchasing; replacement dolly wheel assembly and refurbished towing damper assembly, so they shouldn't need any of my money for a while.

The only real down side is the wiring! At some point it's been butchered to rig up to a civie tow vehicle. The plug is a civie 7 pin (don't know where the original plug is), the wiring under the trailer appears to have been sliced and diced to rig up the lights. I'll need to do some digging to see what's really going on.

It’s the 3/4ton variant, so not exactly the correct trailer to be pulled behind the Lightweight, but the two would definitely have been paired up in service.
Hoping to get the wiring sorted before SSGR’11 but I still need to source a NATO plug for the trailer. Anyone with any suggestions where to pick up a decent used plug, refurb, or new item at a decent price please let me know.

Anyway, here are some pics and the plate detail; I'll have to get the history search done at some point aswell.

14 KE 07 (British Army reg number)

FV861651

GKN SANKEY LTD.
CONT No. FVE 21A/3801
No.473 MK_ SER No.533

Type MH35
FV2124172
BD3409

Attachments

Jon_H

Thanks guys, the trailer does need a little TLC but it's road worthy and just needs the front and rear panels welding in, oh and a new coat of paint

It's not the cheapest option like you said Jime, but after looking at US trailers they just didn't look right behind the Lwt. (I could probably have got a couple of MBTs for the same price :oops:)

I'll update as I progress with the rebuild/refurb, I already found a number of plugs on ebay, so should have one in a short while.

Cheers
Jon

jime

Yeah, a US trailer wold be cheaper (as little as $150), but I think you made the right decision. There's a couple for sale over on Land Rover Exchange for $1600-$2800.

Is your Lightweight LHD or RHD?

jime

Nice truck! Diesel or Petrol? There's a nice diesel for sale in NC for $8500. I don' t know what a good price for an air portable is. I'd look a little harder, but I've gotta save up for a pole barn.

Jon_H

Mine's a Petrol engine.

What are the details of the diesel in NC? (PM me a link if you don't want it public ~ I'm not in the market for another just interested)

There were only 1909 diesel Lightweights factory prepared, all of which were LHD (plus a couple of petrols converted to diesel for trials). They were mostly bought and used by the Danes and Dutch. The Dutch also purchased a 2WD variant of the Lwt which pops up every now and again, but are usually converted back to 4WD :-?.

$8500 doesn't seem bad to me for a running Lwt, if I was ever to sell mine I would want more than that and mine is by no means concourse ready. :mrgreen:

The Lwt is a very interesting variant IMHO as it was conceived for a specific need, then continually modified and adapted for a multitude of roles over its production life and beyond.

jime

OOPS! Screwed up. It's RHD, So it must have been converted to diesel at some point. (In fact it was....I just noticed the data plate says 'Petrol') It doesn't look too bad, although its got some civy mods. Look up Old English Cars and you'll find it.

Rover made some cool military stuff. I'm fond of the 109's and Forward Controls, too.

Jon_H

REG No & Serial No confirm date as 1979 RHD GS (General Service 12v)

But definitely has had some civie mods
- obviously diesel conversion
- headlights aren't original (no chrome on a mil truck)
- eye-bolts on front bumper aren't original (lifting points are on top of the chassis, just behind the bumper)
- exterior fuel filler isn't original (should fill under driver & passenger seat-2 tanks)
- flared wheel arches aren't original (probably added in UK to allow larger tyres)
- tailgate should be two piece, but it's not unheard of for 1 piece in-service replacement (probably added with hardtop)
- all the tread plate is not original
- front seats not original
- centre console not original
- DBG (Deep Bronze Green) colour was original factory finish, but very few survived service without a million coats of matt paint being mopped on
- Rear Union Flag sticker is on the wrong side, should be on the left, also if there's one on the back there should be one on the front as well (now I'm just being picky)

I would guess that the truck was used in the UK after its service ended, and that's where these changes came, they're pretty common.
With that said, it looks like a good truck that wouldn't take too much to revert back to 'in-service' condition, or even leave as it is.
It's a nice looking truck and probably worth the price (obviously a little negotiable ;-) ) with both hard and soft top.

You're right, LR did used to make some great mil vehicles, back when they used to tender for mil contracts and weren't considered 'luxury vehicles', but then again any 'luxury vehicle' can become a military vehicle with a brush and a can of paint :mrgreen:

Attachments

jime

Never been a huge fan of the RR. However, if you watch 'Top Gear', Jeremy's RR did win the challenge in South America against a Suzuki Samuri and a Toyota Land Cruiser, although I think the challenges are heavily staged. Very funny, but staged!

Jon_H

We may have got a bit off topic, but ah well... (sorry admins)

There's a Top Gear where Jeremy puts the Range Rover Sport up against a British Challenger II
youtube :D

jime

I forgot about that one! ....and I wouldn't worry about the 'off topic' subject matter. The Challenger II is still an MV!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sankey spares...

Jon H Just picked up this thread (I was searching for 5 ton Soft top conversions! - Go figure).
I have imported a few "wide tracks" and civilianized them for civi LR owners, so I have a couple of boxes of take off military electrics n lights etc., if you need anything, also a wiring diag somewhere.
Your trailer is the Mk II or MkIII with recessed rear fog lights (though yours were changed to reversing lights).

I am a life long Rover owner, Ex-pat, but am now getting into big Yank stuff.

The EMLRA (ExMilitary Land Rover Assn) is a great resource for trailer info.

Did you get the tailgate remade? I bare metal restored mine in the UK many years before emigrating so it is 100% correct to factory - pre camo, my light weight not quite so correct (twin tail pipes and headers are all that show it's wolf in sheeps fatigues... ; )

Howard

DSD277

I just saw this thread, the trailer is definately a Mk2 wide track, with mechanical drum brakes. I have a 80 % / 90% complete Sankey field kithen trailer and a Mk3 Sankey. (hydraulic disc brakes)... both are a dream to tow... just the high pintle on the Mk2s put the nose down while towing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks