• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke an axle, now what ?

2deuce

I believe the 88 and up models won't fit the m1009, but possibly if you had a sf rear from before 1988 you could swap out the gears from one of those 3:08 1988 and up axles, hopefully someone has the answer. I do know the 16" wheels have the wrong backspacing for the 10 bolt m1009 so don't buy those.

chief1983

Was afraid of that. Sounds just as involved as any other fix. Guess I'll just try to patch up my 10 bolt for now while I decide what to do in the long run. Should make a good winter project if I can get a heated garage.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the $295 new rear ends aren't for you and you want to stay somewhat stock for now, the 12 bolt used from 73-80 in the half ton 4x4s will bolt right in. Considerably stronger and lots of them with the 3.08 gears. I would think that the broken axle may be able to be pounded out from the opposite side with a hammer and pipe. A junkyard axle should be cheap. I have a set of 3.42 axles from my 91 Suburban in the yard so they are out there. If you do decide to go 14FF post up. There are a few differences that one shoudl look for such as the wider van axle and the wierd perch configuration on the 3/4 ton boonus cab. Good luck.

2deuce

The set of 3.42 from the 91 suburban, they won't fit will they? They are SF? Do you know if the FF from 73-80 3/4 ton will fit? and are there any with 3:08 if they do fit?

Last edited:

Biggles

I've got a FF 14 bolt out of a 3/4 ton it's 8 lug and 4:10 gears I'm planning on picking up a Dana 44 with the same gear ratio for the front then I will go to 8 lug wheels bigger axles and of course bigger tires (hence the low gear ratio) but that project is a long way off Mine is staying stock until I break something or have a lot of time and money.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The set of 3.42 from the 91 suburban, they won't fit will they? They are SF? Do you know if the FF from 73-80 3/4 ton will fit? and are there any with 3:08 if they do fit?
They will fit right in and they are SF. Identical in appearance to the Oh-9 stuff. I'm almost certain that JW4x4 is taking them. The FF from a 73-80 will bolt right in. The e-brake cables are configured differently though. 1 tons and bonus cab 3/4 tons will have different shock mounts and narrower spring perches.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks