• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke down - Desperate!!!

planeswalker

I wouldn't call him names until I had my stuff under my lock and key. They might be a member here or maybe a lurker.
BTW This is a M109 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQmywQVdqqQ[/media] Wayne
True, however he did tell me that he was not an internet person and he kept exclaiming how the military vehicle differed from the "regular" deisel's that he was used to. He told me that he used to know a fella that had one of these but that he had never worked on it and that the guy ended up just scrapping it out. But, thank you for that advice.

krall

honestly I have been wanting a nice long drive so its no problem.

planeswalker im up and will be up check your pm and give me a call.

pvtjorge

Go back with a tow bar and take it home. O r maybe rent or borrow a trailer to haul it on. That is if you have the a vehicle to do the job with.

Last edited:

3dAngus

I finally made it home, however my M109 is still in Winchester, VA with a seized up motor. I need to transport it from Wine Truck Repair on Chapel Hill Road off of US 522 to 1015 Fifth Street, Three Rivers, MI 49093. You can PM me and we'll discuss details. You'll probably need a low boy with at least a 20,000 lb. capacity.
Are you talking about a self propelled howitzer?

Isn't it about 55,000 pounds? Not going to tow that with a tow bar and it would need quite a winch. My guess is, I'm not guessing so good, as usual. So what kind of M109 is it?

ATC

Are you talking about a self propelled howitzer?

Isn't it about 55,000 pounds? Not going to tow that with a tow bar and it would need quite a winch. My guess is, I'm not guessing so good, as usual. So what kind of M109 is it?

OP said he "was in the middle of renovating it into a camper..."

Probably not something you are going to do with a tank...

3dAngus

OP said he "was in the middle of renovating it into a camper..."

Probably not something you are going to do with a tank...
OK, got it now. Truck with box on back and windows, ten tires...
Thanks.

I'd like to have one of those!

Copybell

Are you sure the motor is seized up? I am willing to take a trusted mechanic to Winchester and have it checked out. If it can be made drivable, I will find a place to store it until you can figure out what to do. I can leave for Winchester in as little as 6 hours (6:00 A.M. December 17, 2010).

Copybell
Fairfax, VA

998Junkie

krall

guys I am looking to tow this monday, I would appreciate some phone numbers for connections along the way up, I am taking 81 back up to 70 and then taking that up to 80 and accross, I know thats some back tracking but I don't want to do non highway roads unless someone thinks otherwise,

ok other concerns, towing speed is 55 max correct? now what has everyone esle done as far as lights? just put the 4 ways on? ?? ? I guess I can look to have something made right quick to get the magnetic lights to work, will have to stop at the auto shop and see what they have that might work, anyways

I drop the drive shaft correct? and what bolts size are we in need of to take them off?? if someone could help me with that I would appreciat it that way I don't have to take a few dozen wrenches along, please if you konw of something I am forgting let me know. any tips I am all ears.
krall

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
guys I am looking to tow this monday, I would appreciate some phone numbers for connections along the way up, I am taking 81 back up to 70 and then taking that up to 80 and accross, I know thats some back tracking but I don't want to do non highway roads unless someone thinks otherwise,
Can't help you-I am waaay too far South.

ok other concerns, towing speed is 55 max correct? now what has everyone esle done as far as lights? just put the 4 ways on? ?? ? I guess I can look to have something made right quick to get the magnetic lights to work, will have to stop at the auto shop and see what they have that might work, anyways
I wouldn't go any faster than 55.

Do a search for "towing AND lights" here on SS. You really need something better than the flashers to alert other drivers of your intentions (turning/stopping).

A magnetic set of lights w/24V bulbs would work.

I drop the drive shaft correct? and what bolts size are we in need of to take them off?? if someone could help me with that I would appreciat it that way I don't have to take a few dozen wrenches along, please if you konw of something I am forgting let me know. any tips I am all ears.
krall
I'd drop them (front and rear). You will need a pair of 3/4" wrenches.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Krall, Give me a call at 252 363 3367. I got a PM from Jeff,aka planswalker about a tow bar. Or Jeff you can give me a call , im awake lol. - Jay

BTW a M109 can be a few things... kidna like a M1.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are using the M915 to tow his truck, that is a simple deal for the lights. They have 12v set up already! just buy a set of lights and a 7 pin round to flat four adapter. Or since you have the truck and will use it again to tow someone more than likely, go with a set of these-

Split lens magnetic towing lights They were for sale through Northern Tool but I can't find them on the website now. I think they were $125 or so? I used mine in GA when I towed a m109, with a m105 behind my m818. The cord reached all the way to the rear of the m105.

I have them and they work great. I have an adapter made up to use the turn bulb and brake bulb in series, so I can use them with my pickup, (red work as turn and stop 12v) a civilian tractor (red brakes, amber turn) or MV (amber and red come on at the same time and are stop and turn)

Or you can buy a cheap set of magnetic lights and just add some wire. (the cheapy ones don't come with enough.)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are a bit out of the way, 200 miles SW of Winchester, but if you need a place to keep it for a while, we have the space (and a crane to replace an engine if need be).

3dAngus

You rock Krall! Have a blast! And bring your camera!
Harbor Freight has 12vdc magnetic for sale for $10, otherwise they are $20, but you might need a longer extension cable for the long run. They also have a better set for about $25.

R Racing

I saw a really neat set of wireless 1s at tractor supply that would work 150 ft from the truck and no wires. They werent cheap ( like $149.00 ) but easy to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks