• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke down possible compressor failure

Smokinyoda

I've been stuck in Salem VA since around noon today. Possible compressor failure. Had been driving fine for almost 4 hours then ABS light came on. A little later all CTIS lights start flashing, then my wiper quits. So I pull to check things out. PPV valve not leaking, pulled guts out, started truck and get very little air flow. Pulled supply line off dryer, very little air. I could actually plug the hose off with my thumb. Back up to compressor and took small line from unloader off, sprayed wd40 in and tapped on it for awhile with small hammer. Did I mention it's been raining this entire time? lol

Thought about gaskets on the head but I can't feel air leaking anywhere in that area. Is there anything between the pump and dryer that could be the problem?
Aside from head gaskets, or stuck unloader all I can figure is a bad compressor.

Any other suggestions? The one time I don't bring my laptop with the TMs something finally happens that I need them.

Posted a want ad for a compressor in classifieds. I also tried a small compressor with a large inverter but it kept tripping. Going to try and find a generator in the morning that's big enough to run compressor. Plug into emergency glad hands maybe I can at least get home.

EO2NMCB

For $25 or so I would replace the governor up on the firewall to eliminate that as a possibility. Is the big copper line coming off of the back of the air compressor warm or hot to the touch? If it is hot to the touch them your problem lies elsewhere .

Smokinyoda

For $25 or so I would replace the governor up on the firewall to eliminate that as a possibility. Is the big copper line coming off of the back of the air compressor warm or hot to the touch? If it is hot to the touch them your problem lies elsewhere .
It's not so hot that I can't hold it.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a holset (cummins) air compressor the unloader is likely the cause. If I remember they are not to bad to replace If your close to a cummins dealer with the compressor numbers and they might have a kit.

74M35A2

Buy a used $200 gas powered compressor from the local CraigsList of where you are, plumb it into an emergency side glad hand, that should get you home. Can always sell it once home.

Smokinyoda

Buddy of mine says to pull unloader and clean it. I just couldn't get it out as close as it was to IP, and afraid if I did get it out I wouldn't be able to get it back in. Any tips on its removal/reinstalation?

Smokinyoda

Buy a used $200 gas powered compressor from the local CraigsList of where you are, plumb it into an emergency side glad hand, that should get you home. Can always sell it once home.
Yea thought of that. Unfortunately bed is also loaded with a knuckle boom I picked up so not much space. Plus not sure I could get a gas powered up there alone. Wife is only 5' so not much help lifting heavy objects that high.

sandcobra164

I've run into this problem on my A0. I sprayed some PB Blaster into the line that goes into the governor. I had to pull the compressor head off and clean all of the carbon out that I had loosened and was causing everything to not seat.

Smokinyoda

I've run into this problem on my A0. I sprayed some PB Blaster into the line that goes into the governor. I had to pull the compressor head off and clean all of the carbon out that I had loosened and was causing everything to not seat.
Compressor is cooled with coolant. How much will I lose pulling the head?

The HUlk

I'm thinking you raise the round unloader cover up and insert something thin & rigid to hold the inner piece downward against the spring so that the cylindrical part disengages with the cover. Then the cover can slide off.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An unloader can drive you nuts. Yes, you can probably get a kit for them, but your problems are a symptom. Do yourself a favor & swap out the compressor. Air, at its proper pressures & volumes, is a big deal on that vehicle. Its not safe, running it on band aids.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking that it was about $300. One time I lost a compressor on the ALCAN. But the problem was the lower end, and just the head was water cooled. I left the head on the hoses & swapped out the compressor. You should be able to change out the compressor, then quickly swap the hoses over, if the unloader is in the head.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks