• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke down.

REDWOLF

Well i left work this afternoon for my nice 20-25 minut ride home after i made a quick stop at the market, right by the house. Shut the truck off ran in and out off the store and all i get is lights and a buzzing sound from the relay under the dash when i hit the key. I swap out the relay for a new spare i keep in the truck and the same thing. So i walked home. Only a 300- 400 yards, maybe more. So i am going to let it cool off and try again. I do not think this is the problem thow. aua Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sardot1

Sounds like a battery problem. I drove my second one home from Vegas 250 miles when I picked it up earlier this month, no problem until I got home and it would not restart in my driveway and it acted like yours is now. Just glad I didn't stop along the way. Turned out both batteries were shot. Replaced them both and it starts and runs just fine now.

Try jump starting it, and charging the batteries.

bevanet

A large percentage of the time battery problems are just dirty terminals. Dirty terminals can keep the battery from charging properly, and not all enough amps to pass through the connection to turn over the engine. I would clean the terminals real well. If it still won't start, try to jump it. If that doesn't work, slow charge the batts.

droopypete

Also if you are having battery trouble after a 25 min drive, I would have a look at charge rates, unless you run big sub-woofers, had your AC on high and were using your portable 24 volt espresso machine :)
Peter.

REDWOLF

I am not the best at electrical. exspecialy the cucv sytem. I am charging the batterys now. Hooked the charger up to the back bat and turned the key and now i get a buzzing noise under the dash almost fibrating noise as soon as i turn the key on for the wait light and then turn the key further and the starter clicks in but thats about it. The back battery when i hooked up the charger to in reeds like 6 on the charger and then jumped down below 2. The front battery said below 2 from the start. I am going to just have to charge them one at a time and see how it is tommarow night after work. This sucks this is my only transportation. Guess i am whereing my short short so i can hitchhike to work tommarow. NOT!

P.S I started by cleaning all the terminals on the batterys. But that was a good idea just not that lucky.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a bad starter. A direct short will drain your batteries and ruin the underdash relay.

REDWOLF

Man i hope not. That would be the third new starter in a year. This starter has been ackting strange after about the secon week i had it in almost 8 mounths ago. I origanly thought it was a bad fkywheel/ flexplate but i came to find out that the bendix just was nit engaging the starter every once in a while. What relay would that be and can i get one from the local parts store?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
all i get is lights and a buzzing sound from the relay under the dash when i hit the key. I swap out the relay for a new spare i keep in the truck and the same thing.
That relay

OL AG '89

What are your chances of doing load test on batteries? Only way to determine good or bad condition. You might spend a day charging a battery that has no cranking capacity..... I just replaced battery in Tundra.... same symptoms. fine one day no go the next. It was 6 years old, guess I got my $$'s worth from it.....

REDWOLF

Well it looks like to me i have a bad back battery. when i hook my charger to the front battery it goes to full charge below 2 right away, and when i hook it to the back battery it starts at 6 and then jumps around and then moves down to below. But when i hook them back up and try the truck nothing dim lights on the dash and the glo plug light will not go out and just click on the starter. So i unhook the batterys ang check them again and the front battery shows full charge and the back bat show 6?

Barrman

However, your front battery is what powers the dash lights and such. The back battery might be dying, but your front one sounds like it has some loose or dirty connections. Maybe why your back battery is going away. It has been working too hard to start the truck for a while.

REDWOLF

Well the winner is Barrman. My uncle and probley one of the best mecanics in Marylan came up this afternoon and found that the fron battery is completely shot dead short. the back battery is probly week but good. so i guess it is off to walmart for two new batteries. I have found out on here that two group 31 batts will work just fine, problem is the only ones i can find at walmart are group 35 batts for 88.00 each. I think they are 850 cold cracking amps each. Would they work? They look like they are as big as a deep cell marine bat.

bkwudzhom

For the price I use the Advance auto Farm and Truck Batts. They are around $96 and have 1100 Cold Cranking Amps. A lot more battery for $10 bucks!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks