• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broke my mirror

SRB1976

I broke my mirror bracket on my M35a3 yesterday when I was backing up. It got snagged on a tree:evil: and it broke the stud on the support where the spot mirror mounts (circled in red). Anyone know where I can find this part?

IMG_20160120_150441894_HDR2.jpg

stb64

The stud You broke is just the end of a threaded rod that extends through the upright.
You can fix it by replacing the threaded rod with a new one. Any 1/4'' threaded rod will do.
The worst problem You will encounter is that You will have to remove the old rod from the inside of the upright, as it will most likely be rusted in place.
A good way to remove the broken rod is to vibrate it loose with a pneumatic hammer.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On both my M35A2 and M35A3, there is no threaded rod. The upright is solid, with studs sticking out both ends. You are fortunate that this upright is the same on both the A2 and A3. I've broken two of these in the past on my A3 and found replacements for $5.00 and $10.00 at the Georgia Rally. I also purchased another as a spare, but don't remember where. Another option is to drill out the end of the rod and screw a stud in. I've heard several others talk about this same part being a hollow tube with a threaded rod inside. Perhaps there are two different designs, but every one I've seen is as I've described.

stb64

Well I've always been under the impression too, that these were solid rods with studs inserted.
Until the day I got a brand new mirror kit.
That's when I found out about the threaded rods .
I checked all the broken ones I had kept and they all had the threaded rod inside. They were so rusted that I had to use an air hammer to vibrate them out.

stb64

Just checked the parts TM 9-2320-361-34P (1993) page 246.
The picture shows the tube, called brace assembly PN 11608929, and the threaded rod, called rod, threaded end, PN 11608936.
What's strange is that the tube is called an ''assembly'', which usually indicates a part made from different components, such as a solid rod with studs inserted.

winfred

sounds like what i'd be doing if the original rod has welded itself to the tube, nothing rusts quite like threaded rod so id paint the new one good to attempt to keep it from locking up again

I just used 1/4 threaded rod through a piece of 1/2" black steel pipe. Paint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks