• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broke my winch

reuben

yah I know, should have had someone watching it, but I'm a lone worker.

done it several times and got away with it.

was winching loaded truck up a steep slick road, cable piled up on one side and jammed, broke gear housing. So now truck is stuck on the slick hill till I get it fixed, or it quits raining long enough to dry up so I can drive it out. (according to the weather prophet I'll have to wait about a week for that) but whichever happens first, fixing it's gotta be done.

So what I wanna know is; what should that part cost? Left side cast iron gear housing for a 2.5 ton truck winch. Or maybe a whole dead winch for parts.

I'm gonna check locally but would like to have some idea what's a reasonable price and what's too high. Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you shop well, you may find a complete, unknown condition winch for around $300. That housing is aluminum. Just to clarify, you said Left side, do you mean the side with the engagement lever or the side that the driveshaft is on?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I have a housing if that's all you need. Let me know if you are interested and I see if I can find it.

reuben

Thank's I'll run over and see what Alax has and if his price is too high I may bid on one of those. I could run down and pick it up easy enough.

I've worked in the woods alone for over 20 years, no serious problems yet, I just think things through real good and arrange things to be safe. Sometimes it takes some inventive manuvering. (as well as trust in protection from above) But I think my timber cutting days are numbered, I'm getting tired of it, and I have a replacement business in the works as well. Actually I'm working on financing that right now. I'm working up a fund to buy batteries for an electric car I'm fixing, then gonna sell that and invest in something else that'll give a decent profit.
But I like these trucks, I'm seriously considering fixing up one for my local stock trailer hauler.

reuben

Oh yes, m16ty, how much ya want for it? I'd come get it tomorrow. don't think I need a whole new winch. Maybe I should go back and look it over more carefully and make sure nothing else is broke. I'll do that in the morning.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little trick for you loners (like me). A nice strong magnet from an emergency light, some steel tubing and a mirror can get you a birds eye view of what is going on at the winch end. Easily stored inside when not needed.

reuben

yes, too hard of a shear pin. that's another link that wasn't weak enough. I just installed the winch on a nonwinch truck and made the drive line from an old 1 ton ford driveshaft that happened to have same size U joints as the one on the pto. carved the coupler out of a solid bar, drilled the hole for shear pin and put a bolt in it. I was thinkin it probably needed a certain kind of pin but didn't investigate.

spicergear

Do yourself a favor (and that's meant for the masses, not just one person) cut 75' of cable off of the front winch. They come with around 200' or so and are usually stacked up to be a full spool. That only gives you one ply stacking beyond the spool then the second ply against the lower tie bar and at the end of the scond ply or beginning of third...kiss the bottom of the drive side good-bye. I've seen it already where the cable stack up so tight it will unscrew the nut on the tie bar as it grinds past. (!!!)

I did this on my big M715 (Velvet) with the pair of deuce winches I have on that truck. Since that's basically off road and I may need to winch from odd angles, having that 75' cut off gives me time to stack up on one side an get the truck straight, then reset the pull. I keep the other 75' in the bed and have it finished with a pair of thimbles and three clamps per end. Oh, and I got the cable that's on my front winch off of a winch that had the bottom blown out.

Snatch block are also great for hooking out a bit and making sure your pulling straight in to the winch. It's tough when you're driving and winching a load (i'm always working alone too) but the less cable trick buys you some leeway.

Last edited: