• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Air Compressor Fitting & Fuel Line

97Beast

A few weeks back i had to lift the motor and trans in my deuce to replace the steering box. Unfortunately, negligence can leave behind some damage. When removing the upper hose on the air compressor the tip of the fitting broken off in the female end of the hose. I have a photo attached of the piece. Where could i find a replacement??? Does anyone have a wasted compressor laying around?

Also, the plastic fuel line feeding into the pump got kinked during the steering box removal. Would ya'll recommend just cutting off the portion of the kinked line and just re-using the line? Or would getting some replacement fuel line be necessary. Where would be the best place to pick that up as well?

Thanks in advance,

John

Attachments

Woodsplinter

97, I don't know enough to help you with your 2 questions but was wondering how big a job the steering box replacement actually was.
Can it be done without moving the engine, etc? Can you separate the box from the steering column or are they one unit? I may be doing this soon.
Thanks,
Mark

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
clintogf has a bad compressor. I can look at it in the morning.

If I haven't pm'd you by tomorrow evening, pm and me and remind me.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can probably get a set of visegrips on that fitting that is stick out, and spin it right out. Use a set that has the semi-circular jaws, then just take the pieces to some place for replacement. The kinked piece, you can cut off, and re-use the line, if you can get enough slack, and its long enough. Its probably going to be easier to take the hole line out of the truck, to cut it off, etc. "TRICK" Copper tubing work hardens and the stuff is then prone to braking, due to fatigue. When you have the line out, heat the tube to red temperature, and quench it. That will anneal it, or soften it right up, to make it easier to re-shape. If you don't have a torch, you can do it on a gas fired cook stove or BBQ.

Good Luck

97Beast

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I appreciate you taking a look for me Clinto! Let me know what you can find.

I did try to remove the broken piece, i suppose its worth another good try. And i feel better now about re-using the fuel line. Thanks!

About the steering box.. The engine definitely needs to be moved out of the way for the box to be removed. The steering column can be removed, but the steering shaft and bearings must be carefully re-inserted after separation. When i replaced my box i had already stripped the front end down to the frame rails and i pulled the cab. I'm currently doing a full restoration on my truck, so pulling the box was alot easier since nothing was in the way of the engine and trans.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the steering box.. The engine definitely needs to be moved out of the way for the box to be removed. The steering column can be removed, but the steering shaft and bearings must be carefully re-inserted after separation. When i replaced my box i had already stripped the front end down to the frame rails and i pulled the cab. I'm currently doing a full restoration on my truck, so pulling the box was alot easier since nothing was in the way of the engine and trans.
Steering boxes can be replaced/rebuilt without lifting the engine. It's not fun though.:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks