• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken bolt windshield

sermis

I added a muffler to my truck and had noticed that the stud bolt for the windshield spinner would hit when you tried to lower the windshield. One of those I need to fix but never did. I went to put the windshield down and forgot about it. After a minor dent in the muffler can, the bolt and spinner snapped off clean at the windshield hinge. Is there an easy way to get the bolt out or anybody have an upper hinge they want to part with?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, I have a coulpe laying around. I'll bring it with me when i come. Or i can send it if you need it sooner.

sermis

I can wait. I put a hard top on so it is holding the windshield up but it I decide to take the top off I will need it.

Barrman

I have 3 here in my class right now. You can track my Gasser progres by what parts we are working on.

Do you just need the wing nut or the nut and stud?

The stud is just 1/2" coarse on one end and fine on the other end

JDToumanian

The hinge halves are not meant to come apart. The hinge bolt is splined and a very tight press fit. If you try to remove it with a hammer you will destroy it. Ask me how I know! It will come apart, but you would need a hydraulic press for removal and reassembly. The hinge assembly is intended to be replaced as a unit. Your choices are to drill out the broken stud, which is easy if you have a drill press with vise, or replace the complete hinge assembly. TNJ Murray has them NOS, or any MV boneyard will have them used.

If you don't have a drill press, another method that has worked for me is to use a die grinder (or Dremel Motor Tool) with small cut-off wheel to saw a slot in the stud for a screw driver. I'd make the slot nice and deep and use the largest possible screw driver... preferably the type with a square shaft so you can use a wrench for extra leverage. The broken stud could turn right out!

Regards,
Jon

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a 1 1/16 wrench and loosed the nut then soak the pin/mirror arm with penetratin oil for a few days. Then turn the nut untill it's flush with the end of the pin. Then use a piece of alumium or brass up aginst the nut/pin. Then hit it good with a mini sledge. Putting the nut flush with the pin and using a soft metal aginst it will keep from swelling the threads. I swapped both of my trucks to the elephant ear mirrors and was able to get all the pins out this way. I then put never seeze on everything incase i ever had to remove it again.

JDToumanian

Good advice, Ken. I had actually planned to replace my hinge bolts, since they had the torch cut remains of the old mirrors on them. After wailing on the threads with a hammer I had the hinges apart, but I discovered that replacement hinge bolts are not economically available and mine were now ruined. (You can get them from a government contractor, but they were $75 each with a $300 minimum order.) It was $40 for a pair of take-off hinges.

Jon

Barrman

You can have one of my rusty looking hinge assemblies. I have to look on the one you trailered home. If it is decent, you can have the really good and just today student cleaned one off the parts cab.

sermis

What no fresh green paint???????????????????? you like to paint. Come on, it might make me want to paint my truck.

Barrman

I was thinking about that and realized it would make a clean spot on the big ugly and we don't want to do that.

Actually the one I spoke of is the drivers side. The passenger side is still on the spare cab. I will pull it or the one off the parts Gasser whichever is better this weekend.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks