• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken camshaft MEP003a

Chainbreaker

Thanks for updating! Its always helpful to others down the road when the OP posts updates and any solutions to the problem. At least by utilizing an electronic governor you eliminated it being an engine/fuel related issued.

I'm assuming you already searched on "governor hunting MEP-003a MEP-002a" for others that encountered and fixed similar hunting issues and you also followed the TM governor adjustment procedure. I recall a while back that someone had a hunting issue and discovered that the governor spring that attaches to shaft where the star adjustment wheel is located was incorrectly attached above the adjuster wheel rather than below it and that was contributing to hunting.

Where are you noticing the oil and how much oil is leaking...a few drops or a puddle?

Dirtykurt

I honestly can’t see where it’s coming from. I thought it was valve cover gaskets because the cylinders are coated with oil everywhere. I recently changed them and washed the unit the best I could with brake cleaner and ran it awhile more and I see oil here and there... not just one spot. I think it may be more of one of the pushrod tubes. It’s hard to tell with the the blower moving the air around like it does.
By the way I did have an oil cooler line rupture and I changed both lines. I may be just seeing oil coming out from everywhere it settled. After the hose blew it was pretty oiled down and it’s at a remote location so brake cleaner is about the best I can do.
Although before the hose issue we were seeing oil on the cylinders, idk if that was a small leak in the hose or not. I guess I need to get to checking this thing before hunting season starts again.

Chainbreaker

If there is/was that much oil leaking and you think your replacement of the oil cooler lines may have fixed it I would closely monitor dipstick oil level. If it is not showing lower readings you either fixed it or still could have a slow oil leak somewhere not related to the oil line rupture if the oil residue does not dissipate soon. My "guess" is there was a lot of oil spread around by the blower wheel when the oil line ruptured. Lots of surface area around there and nooks and crannies to collect oil. When engine is run and comes up to temperature the leaked oil then starts to thin and blower wheel spreads it further into engine cylinder area.

Also, what is the date of mfg shown on the units placard? How many hours showing on Hobbs meter? Has unit ever gone through a reset show via a reset tag?

Dirtykurt

This particular genset is a civilian DJC model not a MEP model. This genset is at our hunting camp which powers three different camps.
All of it’s tags have been removed on this unit, I have another parts unit that I removed the tag from years ago to save it and I’ve seemed to have lost it too. 😫
I have a MEP-003a that is my backup generator at my house that’s absolutely flawless other than the faded paint. I’ve put a a few hours on it since I bought it and the engine oil is still clear. I don’t remember what the hour meter said when I bought it but it was very very little.
I was recently given another civilian parts genset that I’m currently trying to rewind the rotor instead of parting it out.