• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Deuce in Virginia Beach

JR

Ran ok, shut the engine, loaded up some stuff and it wont restart. Checked all the fuel, have fuel flow at all the filters with the electric pump running and at the IP itself. Checked the cable, took the cover off the plunger and the rod is forward but I got nothing. Might need an IP? not sure. Please PM with sugestions since I wont have access to this post. I am printing out the TM and going back out to mess with it some more or call me
Thanks.

Last edited:

JR

Update from my friends blackberry and took center bolt off IP and the plunger works and fuel came out but still no start

Katahdin

Hey JR. I saw an old post where you were running "alternative fuels". Are your filters clean, have you drained the crud/water/rust out of the bottom of your tank and filter housings recently, etc? I'm wondering if its a fuel quality issue.

Good luck!

6x6guy

Could be the injector pump, loosen one of the lines to the injectors a few times and determine if fuel is being pumped through the injector pump, there should be fuel coming
out of the loose threads ( don't remove entirely- just loosen a few threads) you'll notice
diesel fuel being forced out. If not you'll need a injector pump. :roll:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I spoke to JR and it sounds like an issue I had with water in the fuel. I think he is going to let it sit over night(to let the water settle out) and try again in the morning.

help with the deuce

I agree that breaking loose the lines coming from the IP at the injectors is the best way to check the IP. I'd be more than happy to come out Sunday morning and lend any help I can, I just have to be back at the house by noon. The TM has you check the air filter as well to make sure the engine isn't starved of air. Either respond to this, or call me in the morning.

Good Luck
Dave

JR

I am going back out this morning to drain the filters and crank on it some more. I am not sure about the water, I didnt see any except at the very bottom on my tank when I drained it to put in fresh fuel. About midnight I went to wallys and bought some fuel dry and added 2 bottles and let the fuel circulate just to be sure.

I did crack the lines at the injectors but I did not see seepage so I dont know. I thought maybe the lines are sealed from being in there so long??? I know if I crack the lines on my ol 6.9 f250 diesel it gets wet with just a few turns.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did crack the lines at the injectors but I did not see seepage so I dont know. I thought maybe the lines are sealed from being in there so long??? I know if I crack the lines on my ol 6.9 f250 diesel it gets wet with just a few turns.
The fuel pressure at the injector is extremely high. If you loosen the fitting, you shouldefinitely see fuel seep as you crank the engine over.

JR

I got the deuce home. I cracked all the lines and took the #5 line completely off and not a drop of fuel. based on everything checked I think the IP might have died. Unless there is anything else to check?
transfer pump is working
fuel at all 3 filters
fuel pressure at the IP
fuel shut off lever is free and springs forward when depressed with the cover off
the pump is moving up and down when I removed the bolt in the center of IP and fuel flows out of there when the transfer pump is running.
Anything else?
Can the IP be rebuilt?
Is it madness to take it apart on my own?
If anyone has a line on a good IP please let me know.

Thanks to the kind folks that called me over the weekend when I was trying to get it running again, it was a big help. This is extremely frustrating but at least I am learning about these trucks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the Hydraulic head rotating while you are cranking the engine over? Look in the shutoff rod area, and see if the gear teeth are turning while you are cranking.

Did you try to blow backwards through the #5 line? I believe the flowpath is from the IP to the injectors, then through the secondary filters before returning to the tank. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please. A friend had problems with a leaking IP and he found out the best course was to simply replace rather than rebuild the pump. Glad you got the deuce home, though.

Dave

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Glad you got your truck home JR. How did you get it home? Did you have to pay for a tow or did a friend come by and towbar it for you?

JR

I had to pay the big one unfortunately. I will find a tow bar, just a couple of tows will pay for one. These guys were cool, they said they have moved several dozen dueces and 5 tons for other people buying them from GL. I thought they would bring one of those big rig tow trucks but to my surprise they brought out a giant lowboy! It was actually really cool but sad at the same time. I wish I was getting another deuce rather than bringing a broken one home. I am 99% sure its the ip but I am going to work on it 1 more time to be sure. What really sucks is I was planning on going to the VA rally on labor day weekend. Even if I can get it fixed on time I feel a little gun shy after paying for that tow.

Attachments

JR

Just because I am curious.. what did the tow run you?
$150
KAR Transport did it.
There was a slight discrepancy, the phone guy told me $125 and the driver charged me $150 but whatever, I was grateful to have the deuce home. I would still use them again but would make him repeat the price 3 times. The basically charge by the hour(including drive time to get to you) so the further out you are the price increases dramatically. I only had to go about 10 miles.