• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken fuel line

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just recently purchased a m109a3 and was in the process of driving it to my shop when I was blessed with a ruptured fuel line at the fuel pump. Was able to reseat the line as best as I could back into the fuel pump and drove it the rest of the way with minimal leakage.

After doing some research I noticed that my fuel lines did not have any kind of sock absorbent bracing to minimize vibrations that would result in my current issue. I been searching online for a company that have new lines for sale or could make the fuel lines and have come up with nothing. any help would be greatly appreciated

welldigger

Ok are you talking about the line that comes under the radiator then turns into a rubber flex line before entering the injector pump?

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your looking at the top of the fuel pump where the 6 lines come out to go to the invectors. It broke up actually under the little rubber dust cover.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Can you post a pic from father back? There should be clamps on the hard lines to keep them on place. There isn't supposed to be any in the pic you posted, which is why I'm asking for a pic further back.

welldigger

You just need a new injector line. I just got 6 from George at White Owl.

What has me really stumped is you say you stuck that back in and it barely leaked? I don't see how that is possible.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just need a new injector line. I just got 6 from George at White Owl.

What has me really stumped is you say you stuck that back in and it barely leaked? I don't see how that is possible.
Thanks, will shoot him an email and go from their.

there was a metal flang stuck down in the fuel pump when the line severed. was able to recover it and "coax" it back onto the piece that broke you see in the photo. tightened the nut back down on top of it and drove it the rest of the way. Still leaks but I just been driving it locally. I plan to brace the new fuel lines once i acquire them.

Thanks for the help

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a pic from father back? There should be clamps on the hard lines to keep them on place. There isn't supposed to be any in the pic you posted, which is why I'm asking for a pic further back.
their isn't anything bracing the fuel lines. Called a friend that worked in a motor pool in the army and he immediately pointed that out over the phone as the cause of the fuel line breaking.

Funny Shoes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Disregard my laziness (used google). Not sure what you call the piece that looks like a wedge that sits on top of the ferrule, but we hammered the wedge piece up the broke end enough to not need the ferrule.

still want to replace the lines. i may be convinced to put it off pending the price...

welldigger

You could cut off the broken part and put on a new ferrule. Less time and money that way.
You can replace the tips of the injector lines? The new lines I got look like a tip was crimped on and then the line had flare stamped on. Not to mention each injector line is the same length to keep pressures even.