• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken garwood winch case

wilsonmotors

i just got a m35a2 for parts for my bobber it has a winch on it. when i was removing the winch kit to place it on my bobber i noticed that it had a chunk missing from the clutch side of the case on the bottom side and was leaking gear oil. i was wondering if this was fixable by replacing that half of the case or i had to get a new winch. has anyone ever tore one of these things down for repair or is it a lost cause. the winch still works good it just leakes a small bit. i could post some pics later if need be.

jamawieb

They are really simple to work on, your lucky if it's just the case. I bought one that the main brass gear was busted to pieces on. You might be able to just weld it up and go, also I would use corn head grease instead of oil, then you won't have to worry about oil leaking.

wilsonmotors

Ill try to get some pics tomorrow as it is a pretty good size chunk that is missing. A guy I spoke to at boyce equipment said he might have just a side from another winch I could get. Maby someone that has had one apart could offer up some advice on how hard it is to repair these things.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's numerous posts on here showing how to rebuild a winch. Most of the big Vendors will have the side you need.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
These winches are old time technology, easy to work on, does not need a rocket scientist.