• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken glow plug removal MEP-003

khamill2000

I had one of my glow plugs break off while removing.

20160710_201055.jpg

Thankfully it was the #1 plug so the intake manifold wasn't in the way.
I tried a standard twisted flute easy-out with no luck. Reading on here suggested that the straight flute easy-out worked better. No luck. Both types just stripped out. So I bought an extractor kit online and tried it out. Worked super easy and got that plug out.

20160716_111251.jpg

And here is the kit that worked for me. Cheap too. Under $25 delivered.

20160716_111247.jpg

cuad4u

Just about always you can get them out. First lots of patience. Then PB Blaster or a similar product applied several times over a few days. Then maybe tap the end of the plug with a hammer using a punch. This may jar the threads just a little so the PB Blaster can get in. Then see if you can just get the plug to loosen just a little - maybe 1/30th of a turn. Then apply more PB Blaster and let it soak. After a while try to turn the plug again. Keep going over and over. Over time this usually works.

khamill2000

I did a full week presoak with a mix of atf and acetone. This plug came out about a third of the way then stopped. I lubed and rocked it for quite a while before I btoke it. #3 was the same way but I was a little more experienced and knew how much force I could apply. So yes, I agree with you. They will come out.

87Nassaublue

Just remember to use "Anti-Sieze" on the threads of the new glow plug. The high-temp "Copper" is the best one to use.
Hey Rusty, Have you ever seen the end of a glow plug swell up to the point it's hard to get it out of the hole? I have an old international tractor that does that on one cylinder. I can't imagine what causes that. Have you ever seen that and have any idea what could cause it?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is caused from excessive heat. There are a few things that can cause excessive heat. Timing, injector pattern, or the glow plug being energized too long.

rustystud

Hey Rusty, Have you ever seen the end of a glow plug swell up to the point it's hard to get it out of the hole? I have an old international tractor that does that on one cylinder. I can't imagine what causes that. Have you ever seen that and have any idea what could cause it?
DieselAddict hit it on the head. Yes I have seen it many times, and yes their a royal pain to remove. If your lucky you can break off the end and pull it out through the injector hole. Then just remove the other end normally.

Chainbreaker

PM inbound due to rules
What rule is that? My understanding is that it is OK to post links to a COTS (commercially off the shelf) item regarding repair discussions, etc. (no deliberate advertising) as long as it is not listed in an auction, on CraigsList or eBay.

khamill2000

What rule is that? My understanding is that it is OK to post links to a COTS (commercially off the shelf) item regarding repair discussions, etc. (no deliberate advertising) as long as it is not listed in an auction, on CraigsList or eBay.
It was a buy it now on EBAY. The price has dropped also. Now under $20 delivered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks