• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

broken glow plug tip, cant get it

kentuckycucv

Ok im a little clueless to exactly what the pre-chamber is. Do I need to rotate the engine till the piston raises up/ or is there a whole different compartement before the cylinder? i got my injector out. shop vaced put a 1/2 inch hose vac down the hole. magnet. I DONT hear a piece rattelting around... maybe its gone. i removed a plug and the tip was gone. might have burned off weeks ago.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet one of those new fangled inspection camera things and a hemostat would have the
tip out in a heartbeat.
They had them at CostCo for $160 and you will find a ton of other uses for them.
Check the diameter of the camera and make sure it will fit in the glow plug hole first
before buying one.
Bruce

natemccabe

I watched our motor sergeant just rev up the motor and watched the tip come flying out the tail pipe on our HMMWV. Maybe not the best method?

K9Vic

OK all, I decided to finish my JJ and A Racing glow plug tool how to video after reading this post that I shot a few months ago. This was not my truck but a friends that I helped remove 4 swollen glow plugs and during the process of removing one the tip broke. So I was also able to include a segment of removing the injector and using a needle nose pliers to get the end out.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwBXG6wZsg[/media]

CROM

Great video! I just broke two plugs with the tool the other day and need to remove the injector. :(

Also, I am wondering if unscrewing the inside of the tool doesn't put more stress on the bad glow plug. I had more luck turning the outside of the tool and holding the center piece still with a wrench. This way, the glow plug doesn't have the added stress of being spun/twisted inside the hole and is pulled in only one direction...Out! 2cents

K9Vic

Also, I am wondering if unscrewing the inside of the tool doesn't put more stress on the bad glow plug. I had more luck turning the outside of the tool and holding the center piece still with a wrench. This way, the glow plug doesn't have the added stress of being spun/twisted inside the hole and is pulled in only one direction...Out! 2cents

I have only had one break and used the same process in the video, but I have one to remove still on and will try the method you mentioned. The instructions go over both methods, but I seen for me that tapping it out works best. Still if they are really swollen either method the tip will probably break and you have to pull the injector.

The reason they guys truck in my video had so many swollen plugs is that the previous owner was not so educated on the length ot time needed to hold the manual switch on. That was told to the newer owner and after I said like 15-30 only he not happy with what the previous owner said. Lets just say it was WAY to long of a time and surprised they did not weld to the block.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks