• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken glow plug

florky

Broken glow plug looks different from swollen glow plug info I have found

Snapped at the threads
only about 4 threads sticking out of hole

How do I go about removing this thing???????

IMG_2369.jpgIMG_2370.jpg

Chief_919

That sucks. Was it giving a lot of resistance before it went?

You are going to need to break off that electrical connector, drill with a left handed drill bit and get an extractor in there.

Before that go ahead and pull the injector look at the injector and see if it is swollen. If so go ahead and break it off and pull it out through the injector whole, because you don't want the resistance to trying to get a swollen tip out when you are doing this.

You will need a 30mm deep well socket or better the proper injector socket like this http://amzn.to/2jQzECw

Chief_919

Actually looking at it again I would pull the injector and see if I could spin it into the head all the way so it can be pulled out intact from the injector hole.

florky

OK - so the **** easy out broke off inside the glow plug.
12 hours and 9 drill bits later I have a hole thru to the chamber.
Still need to remove some remnants of the glow plug in the threads and re-tap them.
5/16 bit goes thru but leaves part of the plug casing - 3/8 feels like it is to big for the hole
Does anyone know the exact tap size I will need to finish this?

Chief_919

OK - so the **** easy out broke off inside the glow plug.
12 hours and 9 drill bits later I have a hole thru to the chamber.
Still need to remove some remnants of the glow plug in the threads and re-tap them.
5/16 bit goes thru but leaves part of the plug casing - 3/8 feels like it is to big for the hole
Does anyone know the exact tap size I will need to finish this?
Should be a metric 10mmx1.0 thread, it is a very fine thread most 10mm items are either 1.5 or 1.25.

Here is a link to the right tap if you can't find it locally. http://amzn.to/2klHXmq

florky

So - here's the latest update. got the tap that chief_919 recommended, but apparently I screwed up the hole getting all the broken crap out and blow by at the glow plug. Ordered a Time-Sert kit and drilled and retapped the hole with the thread repair insert - engine is running again!!!!!

jeffy777

So - here's the latest update. got the tap that chief_919 recommended, but apparently I screwed up the hole getting all the broken crap out and blow by at the glow plug. Ordered a Time-Sert kit and drilled and retapped the hole with the thread repair insert - engine is running again!!!!!
Great job! YOU ARE THE MAN!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks