• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken glow removal,Any advice ??

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I am replacing glow plugs in another hmmwv I bought.I have a glow plug removal tool,I got all the glow plugs out.But the last on on the drivers side,all the way back near the firewall broke off after it came unscrewed.Its swelled up and wont come out.I removed the injector but still cant get it.I am afraid to push it in and not be able to get it from the injector hole.Not much room.I am installing Kascar non sweling glow plugs.Any help would be appreciated.thanks.

gem1410

Get a nut that fits the glow plug threads--cut the nut in half--place the 2 pieces around the thread of the stuck glow plug--put a wrench on the 2 pieces to hold it together--screw the glow plug out--this will force the nut against the head and the plug pulls out====spray the plug down with penetrating oil first--had to do 6 this way---If only the tip is left of the injector I would call Dennis at Kascar--He has great info on difficult projects--good luck John

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it sticks up any and it's steel, you may be able to weld a nut onto the tip for leverage and turning.

I would start soaking the hole with penetrant as well.

Rick

Flingarrows

I bought a pair of angled forceps and used that to pull 6 of 8 swollen glow plugs through the injector hole. I just broke them off, since I don't have the tool. . With the injector out, you can stick your finger in and feel the gp tip. I couldn't fit the forceps and finger in at the same time, but after pulling the 2nd, the others went fast, because you get a technique down

Flingarrows

The forceps work good because they are slim, and have a locking mechanism to keep hold of the broken tip once you get a good grip on it. I got an angled pair on eBay for under $10. The hard part was waiting for them to get delivered...

I put a piece of blue paper towel to keep partials from dropping into the combustion chamber. Once you do one, you will be surprised how easy it is. It took me 20 minutes for the first one. After the first, I can get them out in under 10 minutes. Then hit the injector hole with a thin nozzle from a shop vac, to pick up any debris

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does if you don't get it stuck(or broken off) in the hole first.

I've done it many times. I use vice grips on it and push it in as hard as possible. The combustion pops it out and I push it in, after a few repetitions, it will come out. You can rev it up a little to help this process.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but I only do this with a whole GP(not a broken one).

Gloves, glasses, and hold on tight.

Picture pushing in like the vicegrips are a screwdriver handle. Push in as hard as you can(you can't overpower the combustion).

This is like knocking it out with an impact punch, from the inside.

Flingarrows

It does if you don't get it stuck(or broken off) in the hole first.

I've done it many times. I use vice grips on it and push it in as hard as possible. The combustion pops it out and I push it in, after a few repetitions, it will come out. You can rev it up a little to help this process.
I missed the "push it in" step, and just unthreaded, and fired it up. Good info

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, you need to push it in like you are really trying to hold it seated against the head. You can't, so it will pop out with every fire, and usually in about 5 seconds it comes out.

A little engine heat, and rev(2500ish) works well.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug is in the pre-chamber, if it breaks of its still in the the prechamber, remove the glow plug and stuff cotton in the injector hole, push the broken piece in and use a magnettic pickup probe or one of those flexible claw pick up things....not sure what they are called, I use it all the time when I drop stuff into strange areas that have no access...except for where the stuff dropped into....you push on the end and the 4 claws spread out the more you push on the end...they are flexible and about 18in in length.
the cotton prevents any from entering the cyl and is easy to fish put.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I tried that ,The tip is too long.When you push it in it hits the back of the head.It wont drop down.I guess I will try putting the injector back in and starting it and see if it blows out of the glow plug hole.Will it start with 7 glow plugs.

dilvoy

I found by saving many swollen glow plugs over the years and then finaly testing to see on a removed head, if a swollen tip would pass through the hole of the pre chamber into the cumbustion chamber, that they won't fit through. If the tip is broken and jammed into the threads, you need to pound it back so it falls into the pre chamber then grab it out of there through the injector hole. If you are worried about doing that, then you can just leave it jammed there and run on seven glow plugs or pull he head and send it to a shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks