• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken head stud

JeffJanes

As you can see from the pictures, I noticed this little guy laying on the exhaust manifold during a walk around on the duece. Seems the break is pretty far down due to the length of the shaft removed, im just hoping that there is still some extending out of the block to grab once the head is removed. It seems the headgasket(s) are leaking as well in that area due to coolant dripping down the side of the block just underneath this. Is there some internal engine problem that would cause enough stress for this to break? The engine seemed to run fine for the brief moment it was cranked, and I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary the last time i drove it. Just want to make sure when I tear this down that I fix everything then. I'm also think that it would be a great time to upgrade all of the studs anyway to make sure none of the others are stressed as well :). Sorry about the quality of the pictures, my phone sucks.

Head Stud.jpgIMG_3.jpgIMG_2.jpgIMG_1.jpg

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt there is an engine problem but inspecting the cylinder(s) next to the broken stud and the underside of the head will shed more light on it. I would judge the stud was over-torqued or defective.
If the stud is broken level or just below the block surface carefully build up a weld bump on the end of the stud in slow steps with an arc welder. The weld will not stick to the cast block, but be as careful as you can to not get over onto it. When the bump is built up high enough to put a nut over it and have it come up close to the top of the nut, weld the bump to the inside of the nut. Back out the remaining piece of stud with a wrench on the nut. We have done this numerous times with great success. The heat imparted into the broken stud end by the welding breaks loose anything that might be locking it in the block.
Regards Martin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks