• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Hood Release

lindsaym

So, I fixed one problem (replacing the windshield wiper motor) just in time for something else to break, my hood release. I'm almost certain that the wire attached to the locking mechanism snapped. Anyone know a way to get that hood up or off? Thanks guys!

dependable

Had that problem with an 1008. I located right place to access latch on another truck and cut a hole with hole saw. After I had released hood and replaced cable, I put some aluminum tape on inside and skim coated with bondo. Just took some pictures of truck out back. Bondo has shrunk over years so you can make out hole, key blank pointing to it.

There may be a better way to get to it, but I could not figure it out at the time.

Attachments

lindsaym

Thanks for the reply, dependable. I read another post where someone used a very long screw-driver to go up under the grill and pop the mechanism. That's my first option, yours is next. How hard was it to replace the cable?

nyoffroad

Replaceing the cable is easy comes as an assy. and 2 small hex head screws and a clip at the latch=done. Opening the hood is the challange! I did one years ago and IIRC I used a looong hook tool and reached up from under the truck and just kinda felt around til I tripped the release. The lever that you need to move swings over to the drivers side (if that helps). What ever you use it will have to be long enough to reach up and then have a 90* bend in it to go over top the rad. and be fairly strong. good luck

lindsaym

Just an update: I got the hood open. I did so by prying the hood up a tad, then using a socket to loosen the lock assembly, which allowed the hood to go up even further. Then I stuck a coat-hanger around the back and undid the lock. Did the trick, now I just have to purchase a new cable and I should be good to go!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks