• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Rockwell Axle

dezert ratt

Well I told ya so doesnt work for me. I heard that the 2.5 ton rockwells are weak when running bigger tires, but this is crazy. I was at a jeep run "tierra del sol", and while crawling the notches (a gathering place for idiots) i managed to break either spider gears or a axle shaft on the middle rockwell. I never bound up the tires or got crazy on the throttle. I had 15 people in the bed and we were just cruisin. No pop or clunk until the trip back to camp, i noticed when going thru ruts and washouts i wasnt getting traction. The first sharp turn i made i heard a good pop and the truck jumped a lil. I will keep you guys posted on what i find. I am already thinking about the ouverson 2" axle kit with locker.
los noches 1.jpglos noches2.jpglosnoches3.jpg
plaster.jpg

sandcobra164

They are open diff's on these trucks. Mine makes all kinds of pops and clunks going through ruts thanks to a flexible frame and a rigid bed. If you rode in my truck on the trail ride at the GA Rally, you'd think an axle was about to drop out or the bed might fall off with some of the noises. I'm curious if you actually broke an axle on that truck. I run 11X20 Firestones dualed in the rear tandems so we are toting about the same weight on the rear axles. Interested in reading more.

dezert ratt

She's broke for sure. I have just been so busy with work I haven't had time to take it apart yet. Stay tuned for updates, I'm really curious what broke.
P.s. I confirmed it by putting the truck in a deep rut in rear wheel drive only and the rear axle has power and spins the rear tires and the middle axle just pops.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It takes 8 seconds to pull an axle out of the housing. You could have figured it out in the time it took to post the thread.

At least its a non-steer axle. Pop out the broken and install a replacement, done deal.

dezert ratt

I'm 300 miles from home working. I don't have the luxury of tinkering in the garage after work, because I'm gone for a week at a time. I come home on the weekend and want to spend 2 precious days with my family and my 9 month old son, because I don't see them all week. Hopefully soon I'll be local again and have more time for my 50 projects.
Anywho yes I plan on pulling the shafts this weekend, and if it's not a broken shaft, I plan on pulling the chunk on the middle axle.

Monkeyboyarmy

You really need to focus on the important stuff here. So let's get that axle apart! I'm kidding of course. Before you know it, they're all grown up....and your buying 5 tons.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe your tire hit the bed and caused the failure.

If so, a stronger axle will only move the issue to the next week point(bed or tire).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It takes 8 seconds to pull an axle out of the housing. You could have figured it out in the time it took to post the thread.

At least its a non-steer axle. Pop out the broken and install a replacement, done deal.

And make sure you jack the axle up and pull one side at a time and replace or you will end up with fluid out the other side. You could drain the diff first too.

Why do Gimp and I know this? ;-)

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If so, a stronger axle will only move the issue to the next week point(bed or tire).

I was thinking the same thing based on his picture showing articulation.

Wonder if there is any evidence of the tire scrubbing the bottom of the bed over the tire(s).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
And make sure you jack the axle up and pull one side at a time and replace or you will end up with fluid out the other side. You could drain the diff first too.

Why do Gimp and I know this? ;-)
Draining the axle WILL tell you how much metal is in the oil and what kind (gear chunks, ect)

gimpyrobb

I dunno, I've been running 395s on my truck and have yet to snap any axles. Some say I baby the truck though. ;)

DavidWymore

I was at TDS with dezert ratt (the next day).

I had just gotten done swapping the center diff in my ex civvy water truck deuce(see sig). I got spare parts from a neighboring shop yard with a few parts deuces, and the guys there have been around forever. They said back in the day when they were popular for water trucks, they went through spiders and shafts regularly. largely due to overloading I'm sure. Out of a handful of parts trucks, I only got two pare axle shafts because the others were all long gone, sold as replacements. Every deuce I've heard of breaking axles breaks the center axle. Probably something to do with steering and when you crest a ledge offroading, most of the weight (traction) ends up on that axle.

Wish I was closer dude. When you get ready to get after it, bring it down, or I'll come up.

dezert ratt

395 xzl michelins on mrap rims. The tires rub for sure on the bed, but not enough to break the rear end. I have yet to lose any tread from tire rub. I push my trucks to their full potential and with that comes broken parts. I'll get her fixed and on to the next adventure. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427485671.887313.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427485787.418237.jpg
What tire rub. Haha

gimpyrobb

Funny, I've never heard of breaking the center axles.

My issue is tearing up the 3rd members! I am getting ready to put the third one in my front axle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks