• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken screw in my injection pump cover help!!!

jimmy-90

I took the top cover off of the injection pump on my M1028 today and one of the three screws that holds the top cover down broke off nearly flush with the pump housing. Has anyone elese had this happen or does anyone know of a way to get the broken off screw to come out. Im really in a mess with this one.

dilvoy

It shoulden't be bottomed in its hole so if you have a really sharp and small chisel, you should be ablt to tap it in the correct direction and work it out far enough to grab it witn a pliers or your fingers. A small hammer like the type that carpet layers use would allow you to control things a bit better too.

eddiec

Find an actual square easy out, drill a hole in the screw, lightly tap the easy out into the screw, and it should back it out. The heat from drilling the hole, combined with the tapping to set the easy out should break the screw loose. You need to catch all of the shavings before they fall into the ip

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't say that I know exactly where your problem is, but I have had critical bolts/screws break off at the worst possible location/time and there are ways to solve this problem.

I would say right off that you will have to VERY CAREFULLY drill into the broken bolt/screw and then use an extractor to back the broken piece(s) out. Also, after you drill but BEFORE attempting to extract, use a little penetrating oil (WD-40) around the bolt/screw thread and gently tap, tap, tap that part of the housing. This sets up a vibration that (in theory) helps to loosen tight or stuck threads.

Good luck and post your results--- heck---- post some pictures!

OLDCHEV4X4

A left handed drill bit, the correct size for the easy out.
If the drill bit dosent take it out..., the easy out, penatrating oil and tapping with a hammer might.

jimmy-90

Im gonna start by trying to tap it loose with a small chizel like dilvoy said. If that fails then I'll just have to take my chances with the easy out tool. Im saving the easy out for last because the screw is so small that if the easy out breaks off in there it's imposible to drill out tool grade steel. Gonna let the thing sit a little while longer to let the penatrating oil soak in good and take a crack at it. I'll post back up in an hour or two and let everyone know weather im gonna make it or wether im screwed. No pun intended.

jimmy-90

Finally got the pump back together. first I tried the chizel thing with no luck. It just shaved off the small part of the screw that was sticking out of the pump. Next I tried to drill down into the screw and use the easy out tool. The small easy out tightened and threatened to break so I drilled with a slightly bigger bit and tried a little bit bigger easy out. Same thing. It hooked up in there and tightened to the point where it threatened to break also. Finally I used my very last resort and drilled all the way through the screw and out the botton of the pump housing. I then proceeded to carefully tap the hole. Then I ground down the tip of my tap to make it into a bottom tap (because they appearantly dont sell bottom taps at the hard ware store anymore) and ran it through that way. I threaded in my new 10/24 screw and it caught and worked good. I have the thing back together now and it does run better with the pump turned up a SHY 1/8th of a turn. Like I said though a SHY 1/8th turn not a fat 1/8th turn.

jimmy-90

Good work. Thinkin about turning mine up a bit. You get more power?
yep that did make a noticable difference all the way through the rpm range. My truck shifts through all the gears way to fast and ends up in 3rd at too low of a speed and has to chug for a couple seconds before it starts to feel real strong again. after I turned the pump up it doesn't matter. It will accelerate even when it's in too high of a gear now. That small turn of the fuel screw made that big of a difference. It also made it a little bit louder and have a meaner rev in neutral. Anyhow I didn't turn it up to the point where it smokes under acceleration and it made it run this good. There is a video on youtube of somebody taking his pump apart and removing the internal linkage ect. It is a very good video to have bookmarked before you attempt this. If you want I can try to copy and paste it to this site.

Last edited: