• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken Starter Bolt

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So somehow during the process of reinstalling my starter today one of the starter bolts broke. It was already installed and was cranking the motor over and when I got out of the truck I saw a bolt laying on the floor, it sheared off inside the block. Two questions, what size bolt are these (they don’t seem to be 3/8-16 thread) so I can order ones off McMaster carr. And 2 any good tips on removing the broken part in the block?

I’m taking the truck on a trip Wednesday morning so I don’t have much time to get the truck road ready.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So somehow during the process of reinstalling my starter today one of the starter bolts broke. It was already installed and was cranking the motor over and when I got out of the truck I saw a bolt laying on the floor, it sheared off inside the block. Two questions, what size bolt are these (they don’t seem to be 3/8-16 thread) so I can order ones off McMaster carr. And 2 any good tips on removing the broken part in the block?

I’m taking the truck on a trip Wednesday morning so I don’t have much time to get the truck road ready.
Well that generally sucks...

Those are special bolts. The cross-hatch pattern is slightly larger than the rest of the shoulder part of the bolt. You should go to the local Chevy Dealer - or maybe one of the "HELP" sections in a local parts house to get a replacement.

Hopefully you have a left-handed drill bit that will reach up in the block and maybe is loose enough to back out the broken part. You might be lucky and it broke off "even" and you could possibly reach up in the block and tap it several times - maybe making a shallow slot that you might be able to use to back out the bolt.

KEY to all of this (once you get the old one out) is to test fit your new bolt. Making sure that you have the right length is pretty important. Chevy factory lengths are either long or short so it isn't like there are a bunch of different starter bolts. ALTHOUGH having shims - especially if you had them could be part of the problem too...

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply. I have a cheap “speed out” remover which thankfully worked great. It was broken off up in the block but I was just able to reach it and back it out. So at least that part of the problem is solved!

That is a good point about the bolt lengths/shims. When I purchased the truck it had a starter shim in even though the starter itself says “no shim”. Last time I had the starter out to do the oil pan gasket I removed the shim and it still started fine. There were also 3 washers under the head of one of the bolts as it was slightly longer than the other, and that is the bolt that broke. So honestly it’s probably good it broke while I’m at home so I’m not stranded somewhere.

I did a quick search and found an old post that said part number GM 15544950 was for the starter bolt. Can anyone confirm that? I ordered a couple of them already just to give it a fighting chance to be here by Tuesday.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the reply. I have a cheap “speed out” remover which thankfully worked great. It was broken off up in the block but I was just able to reach it and back it out. So at least that part of the problem is solved!

That is a good point about the bolt lengths/shims. When I purchased the truck it had a starter shim in even though the starter itself says “no shim”. Last time I had the starter out to do the oil pan gasket I removed the shim and it still started fine. There were also 3 washers under the head of one of the bolts as it was slightly longer than the other, and that is the bolt that broke. So honestly it’s probably good it broke while I’m at home so I’m not stranded somewhere.

I did a quick search and found an old post that said part number GM 15544950 was for the starter bolt. Can anyone confirm that? I ordered a couple of them already just to give it a fighting chance to be here by Tuesday.
That is GREAT NEWS for sure! Yes sir, broke at home beats on the side of the road any day.

I don't have anything to prove that part number here.
Hopefully some of the other guys can chime in

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is GREAT NEWS for sure! Yes sir, broke at home beats on the side of the road any day.

I don't have anything to prove that part number here.
Hopefully some of the other guys can chime in
No worries, I appreciate the help. O’reilys has this listed as the bolt specs. So hopefully someone has a few extra laying around and can measure to confirm.
  • Thread Size: M10-1.50
  • Length (mm): 111mm

Valor

And make sure you install the bracket, brace on the nose of the starter for support. That is important.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new bolts arrived today so I reinstalled the starter. Cranked it over for a few seconds with the injector pump disconnected as well as started the truck normally a few times just to test it out a little bit. So far so good so hopefully that problem is in the past!
8F846D5F-C2D6-452C-96E0-68C09C2EEE26.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The new bolts arrived today so I reinstalled the starter. Cranked it over for a few seconds with the injector pump disconnected as well as started the truck normally a few times just to test it out a little bit. So far so good so hopefully that problem is in the past!
View attachment 874892
Hoping that you had a trustworthy friend that could work the key for you - while you were under the truck - to "lay eyes" on the starter while engaged... Just to make darn sure that there isn't any "starter wiggle" happening?

I went back and saw that you said that the rear support is on the end of the starter too? Almost certain I saw that...?

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hoping that you had a trustworthy friend that could work the key for you - while you were under the truck - to "lay eyes" on the starter while engaged... Just to make darn sure that there isn't any "starter wiggle" happening?

I went back and saw that you said that the rear support is on the end of the starter too? Almost certain I saw that...?
Yep bracket is in place and also set my phone up to take a video from underneath when I started it. Both locations I ordered the bolts from came in on time so now I have a few extras as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yep bracket is in place and also set my phone up to take a video from underneath when I started it. Both locations I ordered the bolts from came in on time so now I have a few extras as well.
Amazing how the phones today are almost like having an extra hand... GOOD PLAN using it in video mode to watch what was happening under the truck. Heck, you might find yourself a new job as the Safety Man for some big company with that idea. Need to create an App for that! ;-)

INFChief

Those bolts break very easy. Not too hard to get out. They’re standard GM starter bolts. You should check the bendix engagement and shim the starter if needed.

INFChief

It's my understanding that the starter bolts are designed to break under extreme conditions to protect damage to the block.
If there’s something going on that high up that breaks those starter bolts then there’s bigger problems to worry about. Those starter bolts will break it over-tightened or reused too many times. No one uses a torque wrench - they get them German torqued (guten tight).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks