• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken stuff.

AndrewH

I know we all like to see broken stuff, as long as it is not terminal to our or someone elses MV. Here is the broken off cone of a M1009 starter. WOW, exciting, I know. Here's the question - The bolts were tight, the brace is in place. there are some missing teeth on the flexplate. Which came first. Broken teeth or broken housing? I can see how the starter trying to operate now would mash teeth off, and I can see how missing flexplate teeth could beat the starter pretty hard. Does this happen a lot? A new starter and flexplate should do the trick here but while I'm in there should I look for anything else?

Attachments

ralbelt

My M1008 came with a broken/loose flex plate the starter was good and cranked over the engine even with a trashed flex plate. I replaced the flex plate and a few times after the engine was warm and I went to start it the engine would kick back while starting it and it broke the starter cone. This was caused by the engine hydro locking due to leaking injector or blown head gasket. I had the injectors rebuilt to be safe. I also had black water coming out of left exhaust and water vapor in the oil. I removed the left head and had a blown head gasket and a bad crack. Purchased a new head and also pulled the right head and had it pressure tested and had the valves checked and replaced 2 bad ones with 2 good ones from the left head. We also machined the exhaust manifolds as they were a little warped.
Its almost back together just plowed in with 4'piles of snow around it which makes it easier to work on, just have to set some pallets on the snow and can lay accross them.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks