• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Broken throttle cable, 84 M1008.

azex

This happened yesterday at Home Depot in Show Low, AZ.

Had to walk 5mi to the nearest Vato Zone to find out that they didn't have the cable and couldn't get one til Monday...

Problem is, I just HAD to unhook the little round clip off of the throttle shaft to make sure that the throttle cable, was indeed, T_U.

It was...and OF COURSE, the clip fell down into the valley on the motor....and into oblivion.

Does anyone know what type/number/model that clip is and where I might be able to get another one (or two?)

Thanks.

D.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just take off the air breather and reach under the intake to find the clip. I've had to do it several times. A pencil maget helps also.

You might look in the TM 9-2320-289-34P parts manual to see if the clip is listed.

Hasdrubal

Do let us know how that cable fits. My understanding was that the aftermarket cables didn't fit properly, that they were too short or something to that effect. Have searched for one to have as a spare to no avail. Last time mine broke I was lucky to pull one off another CUCV parts truck a guy I knew had lying out back.

sierrajcharlie

I had the cable fray at the IP guide awhile back. It kept pulling tighter as I went down the road til I was on the brakes hard at 60. Common sense said shut it down but the other voice said you're only another mile from home. So I rode it out, maybe not the smartest thing but it all worked out.

Getting it off was the easy part, getting it back on was a bugger. We dropped it quite a few times but fished it out every time with a magnet. I was ready to put a small washer on the shaft and then wrap a small wire around the shaft in the groove where it's supposed to snap for a temp fix. It looks like there's a tear apart in Show Low, maybe they'd have the setup you need. My civvy blazer sitting in the yard saved the day again for me.

panama

I had/have same prob. Throttle cable frayed and stuck the throttle open. Tried three different cables and all are too short. I have not figured out how to adjust for the shorter cable and drive it with the higher idle. I also dropped the round clip every time. A flashlight and my wife's small hands recovered it pretty quick. Unfortunately I can only add to the stories and not answer you question with a part number.

85CUCVtom

I just went through this whole mess. Mine frayed and stuck wide open.

I tried units from every parts store Oreilly, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, Napa. None of them fit right. The GM part was discontinued years ago and NOS ones are far and few between and fetch a lot.

I had to get one used from a military salvage place. I'm looking into getting one made here at a local shop that does custom cables and plow stuff. Haven't taken it into him yet but he said he could do it.

Last edited: