• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought Home an M880 today

guywood

I want to get a refurbished M880-ish or CUCV for daily driving and pulling my 24' stock trailer. I saw the ones that the guy in Texas had for sale and have looked at the ones that Alfa Heaven has. Is there a more reputable dealer/rebuilder than Alfa?

I just want a good used truck to daily drive and pull my horses and cows. It looks like, from a tonnage standpoint, that either truck will pull it. I just got rid of my 05 Dodge dually, to minimize my monthly payments, and need something else.

Thanks in advance.

AJMBLAZER

24 FOOT?

How heavy are we talking here? The M1008 CUCV's are only really good for about 8000lbs or so and and I'd bet the M880's are good for less being they are 3/4 tons and 318 V8 gas engines.

guywood

I guess they wouldn't work. I have been trying to find the tow weight of either vehicle and you certainly helped eliminate the M880.

The aluminum stock trailer weighs 4,200 lbs, plus cattle or horses, which can be another 12 lbs. I can pull it with a F250 with the turbo diesel, so I thought the CUCV would be able to handle it. I carried a night sight maintenance facility through Iraq in 1991 on the back of an M1028, and they aren't light.

-Guy

AJMBLAZER

You're beyond the capability of any of the CUCV's with that cattle trailer. Start looking for a 90's Super Duty or Ram with their turbo diesels. You might eak it out with a 6.5L turbo'd GM but you'd be stretching it.

Remember the diesel CUCV's are 6.2L naturally aspirated. Not powerhouses.
We're in the wrong forum really but the pickup CUCV's were only really intended to move their rated amounts at speeds up to about 35mph...so the military never had ANYTHING like what you want to do in mind when they spec'd them out.

guywood

Thanks AJMBlazer

Thanks for the help. I think I may buy the blazer from Alfa for use around the job sites.

Do you have any misgivings about Alfa?

Thanks,
Guy

AJMBLAZER

RE: Thanks AJMBlazer

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YES!

Do a search on this site for Alfa and you'll quickly learn you NEVER want to do business with them.

(Thought that was obvious from my comments earlier in this thread.)

jeffinnorthtexas

Re: Thanks AJMBlazer

Well, from what I have seen of the truck I bought, ( seller had bought it from Alfa), and from inspecting the other two he got from there, here is my take on this situation.
The guy who I bought from was charged WAY more than these trucks are really worth. They have been cosmetically improved, (Sherwin Williams overhaul), but the mechanicals were only given a quick once over and fixes were done as cheaply as possible.
If Alfa has something you want, I would not buy without going there and doing a hands-on inspection. Then, I would do some hard negotiations as to price, and be prepared to walk if you have any bad feeling about the vehicle or the price. You can probably get a good vehicle there, IF, you are very careful. From other posts here, it appears this is a "buyer beware" situation.
Jeff

guywood said:
Thanks for the help. I think I may buy the blazer from Alfa for use around the job sites.

Do you have any misgivings about Alfa?

Thanks,
Guy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks