• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought home my M101A2, Kudo's to this website.

LRDDude

This is my first post, and there are many like it, but this one is mine... Anyway, got her home, pulled it behind my Superduty. Like it wasn't even there. I just want to say that this website has been the catalyst to my owning a former military trailer. The information I gleened from these pages was so incredibly helpfull. Thanks to all of you out there who thru your blood, sweat, fowl utterances and tears, or just plain old military experience; enabled me to find the confidence to pull the trigger and get my M101.
My M101 A2 came complete with the bed sides, bows and canvas cover. It had plenty of brake fluid in the master cylinder, the tires are so new it still has the little poky rubber nubs. It has some surface rust on the edges and seams.
Picking up the trailer went like this: Getting on base was no problem. Finding GL and such was the typical federal government fire drill. Go over to that building and wait, then go over to that building and wait, then go over there and wait. We got off the base with the trailer in just under 2 hours. I didn't mind because I got to watch them load a couple M923's and such. But the wife was loosing patience and it was about 95 degrees. She loved the M923 nd M35 trucks and told me it was cool with her to bid on a 2 1/2 ton M35. Whoo Hoo!! Then I told her the cruising speed was 45 mph. So we decided we just couldn't cruise at 45, so no truck for us. On base it was the typical military protocol without a yelling Sgt.
I pulled it home the 120 miles without issue, stopping avery 50 miles and checking the hub temp.. no problem there. My main problem was something I hadn't seen here on this website... the safety chains were un-godly way too short.
Other than a 7 wire RVplug, I am keeping it military. I personally can't see doing it any other way. Camo paint and all. I love it! I am going to sand out the rust spots and repaint it exactly as it is. Rebuild the brakes and repack the wheel bearings. Load it with shtf gear and pray I never need it.

I am looking for a paint supplier and any info on the rubber hydraulic hose above the axle that I will be replacing.

Anyway, Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The chain thing has been discussed before for sure. Congrats and show us what it looks like.

steelandcanvas

Foul utterances? Not us! You and the Misses might want to re-think the cruising at 45 mph scenario, it's not as bad as you may imagine. At 45-50 mph we see things we normally miss at 75 mph. As far as the light plug goes, why don't you make up an adapter and retain the original plug. Schematics are available here to help you accomplish that task, should you be interested. Download the TM on your trailer, there will be info on your brake hose there. Welcome to the madness!

kawkev

Yeah that's how it starts. You buy just one M35 and the next thing you know you've got 8 M105s, 4 M101s, a trailer dolly converter, an S280 shelter, piles of parts to "Fix 'er up", ect. ect. ect. Or at least that's what I've heard. Don't tell my woman I said anything. Best she don't know anything!!!
Welcome to the asylum!!! :cookoo:

Ollei13

Is it bad to ask the ball park price of these trailers? I'm new here and also wanting to get one at Barstow through GL. Just a little afraid of the online bidding and also just trying save my daily allowances for it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is it bad to ask the ball park price of these trailers? I'm new here and also wanting to get one at Barstow through GL. Just a little afraid of the online bidding and also just trying save my daily allowances for it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
$500-700 around here.

moose53

$250-$350 on the east coast

I paid $240 for mine, no rust, new tires including spare, new wiring harness & lights, all slats & bows, new tarp.

Jim

LRDDude

Like gimpyrobb said is pretty much the ballpark. The major price deciding factors include; Whether or not it has a serviceable top and set of bows, and the overall condition. And of course the primary cost deciding factor is... location, location, location. My M101 has a good top and bows and minimal rust for a trailer built in 1985. Including taxes, title from GL, and my gas to bring it home, it's set me back about $900. Probably could find a similar deal for $600 any where but kalifornia.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
easiest thing I did was to use 2 large quick links in the holes of the receiver hitch to give the chains reach and still maintain integrity.

Easy to rig an adapter using a female military socket off someone scrapping a truck and wiring it to whatever system you use. I have mine to a 4 way flat as that is what my T fitting uses plugged inbetween the oe vehicle harness. That way when you get your truck ( believe us it will be the next step in the disease) you will be set. :)

many posts in the trailer forum with wiring pin outs and instructions.

Welcome to the madness!

quick link link :)
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Hidden-Hitch/49135.html

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks