• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brought my first Deuce home Friday.

Bulldog1986

Drove from Auburn, AL to Fort Gillem, GA on Friday and picked up my first Deuce, a 1971 Gen. Prod. Div M35a2. She was a little low on oil and has one leaky wheel cylinder and some rust, but other than that, she's a beaut. John (Jon) from Gov Liq had already pulled her out of her spot and had her ready to ride (besides the fluids). My roommate helped me get her home, tracked down I-85 like a champion, about 60 mph max.

I would like to thank airbornebandsman for allowing me the chance to 'test drive' his truck and giving me pointers and over the phone advice.

Now that she's home I've started stripping the paint from the wood in the back and priming it. Next comes some of the body rust and the wheel cylinder.

......I'm hooked.

Attachments

davidkroberts

nice recovery, you werent kidding about that wheel cylinder. Easy fix though, cheap part like most on a M35. What engine goes it have and what plans do you have for it?

Bulldog1986

From what I have heard about the whistler turbo I definitely think its not, not loud enough. The t-shirt is a real plus haha

Being a grad student I don't have much expendable cash, so I'm probably going to keep her fairly stock. I would like to hook up some lighting in the bed for the offroad riding passengers, possibly a GPS for myself in the cab.

Not sure about the motor. I know it is a Hercules but not sure about the code.

Scott

Last edited:

Sumoman

"Being a grad student I don't have much expendable cash, so I'm probably going to keep her fairly stock. "

I am a grad student, work full time, have 2 kids and I am married... and I doubt seriously either of us will keep it "stock":grin:

Great recovery, that picture of you behind the wheel says it all. I cannot wait to drive mine, she's cold and lonely right now but soon.. very soon Muh-hahahahaha:twisted:

Bulldog1986

Okay, so I'm a full time research assitant who might as well make beans, therefore I have no cash. :wink: I actually just walked in the door from scraping and priming all day. I'll get somem progress pics up on here when I get them.

Just because our football teams sucks doesn't mean I can't handle a big truck. I was born for this thing. Our football team will probably continue to suck this year because of our choice in new coach, but I'll have fun driving around on game day.

That being said, there is a constant air 'leak' that I can hear in the cab. There is also a brake line sitting on top of the master cylinder. It has the flared end with the fitting so I know it goes somewhere I just can't figure out where. The constant leak isn't out of there, but it does push air out when I let off the brake pedal/ Any suggestions?

FreightTrain

Banned
that line goes into a L connector to the top of the MasterCylinder cap.It is a vent line.Check under the passenger side dash on the firewall for air leaks.There is a line there that has a valve.Valve might be open or worn.Also,check around the front axle air switch.Might leak there too.Not many air lines in the cab.Only other 2 places it could be is the line going to the buzzer box under the dash and the line going to the gauge.

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck! You will have fun fixing the little small things that will come up working bugs out. Don't sweat it all the help you need is right here on this site. Driving the duece gives a whole new meaning to "WAR EAGLE!"

Sumoman

I want a name on mine:cry:

Heck I just want to scrap paint and fix leaks.. I know its been only 2.5 weeks but seriously, could GL take any longer:evil:

FreightTrain

Banned
Heck,mine took 7 days from sent to battle creek to customer notified.Event 3890,Ended 1/29/09-EUC Emailed 1/30/09,Revisions needed 2/3/09,Sent to battle creek 2/4/09,notified 2/11/09.Truck picked up 2/17/09 started cutting up 2/22/09 muh ha ha ha.

jrou111

Congrats on the deuce, man! I can't wait for mine.

Hey Bulldog, when I get my deuces down to Birmingham we need to have a MV off road get together over at the Talledega national forest's ORV trails. :-D

Bulldog1986

Congrats on the deuce, man! I can't wait for mine.

Hey Bulldog, when I get my deuces down to Birmingham we need to have a MV off road get together over at the Talledega national forest's ORV trails. :-D
Let me know when you get ahold of them. I'd love to have a winched Deuce to back me up.

Last edited: