• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brush guard identification help

prtaick

Hi, New to the forum.
I've searched and looked over about 100 posts and exhausted my google searching. I am looking to ID the mounting for my brush guard and potentially locate an original one.

Here are 2 images of my front bumper. 20171220_155443.jpg20171220_155448.jpg. I don't even know if this is original.

It looks similar to the bent angle style guards, (like this one 1985-Military-Humvee-front.jpg, NOT MINE). However I have 2 tabs sticking out for the locking pin instead of 1.

Any help would be awesome.
Patrick

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

prtaick

Bought it 2nd hand. I'm going to take it off and check for numbers. It didn't match anything I saw in the manuals so far.
Also going to ask the guy I got it from, but he didn't seem to be the type to add anything to the truck. It actually looks like he took some stuff off.
I'll update either way. I hate reading forum posts with dead ends.

tage

What year is yours? It's not the first time GP has let a "concept?/preproduction" truck get through the auctions.
But it's definitely home brew. Those welds are all cracked.

I agree with above. I'm leaning towards non brush guard too.

prtaick

Its a 1992 M998 Serial 130428.

@tage, Its not cracked welds you see. That cracking is the rust pushing the finish off. You can see better in these images. The welds look good, not robot welded good, but good.
ss.jpg

Took them off and found no numbers. Called the guy I bought it from and he told me that he took delivery of it and "gave" it right to me. Looks like all he removed from the truck is the antenna mounts. I'm in manufacturing and if these were homemade I want to hire the guy that made them :p. These things look to have been stamped out not cut (you can sorta see the undercut and some markings from the blanking process, or that's what it seems to be).

I also noticed these back two bolts (center of the image) were missing. Not sure what should have been here and if it would have been part of what I'm looking for.
dsds.jpg

Side note. What would have been mounted here?
adsa.jpg

prtaick

I'll try again. Long story short
Contacted the seller and he told me its exactly as he got it from the auction. Couldn't imagine he would have any reason to line since I paid him cash. Lol

Brackets off and inspected. No part numbers to be found and the construction looks to be from production. You can just make out the undercut on the edges of the metal from the blanking process. If these were one off parts the guy took care and had some good equipment.
20171222_142828.jpg

These frame bolts were also missing when I got it.
dsds.jpg

Tage,
Its not cracking welds you see, its actually the thick paint chipping and pushing up because of rust.

ss.jpg

Still trying to research and ask around but no luck so far.

Side story. What would have been mounted here?

adsa.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks