• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brush guard

Rich Johnson

I was wondering if 880s ever had a brush guard like the Chevy CUCV did?
I remember in my neighborhood when I was a kid during the desert storm era, there was an 880, desrt cammo, with a brush guard like a CUCV.
Were they ever standard or a kit?
I havent seen any in the pics so far on this site.

N1265

I have seen a couple M880s with brush guards, They are not standard for the M880 but may be an after market kit that some units used.

I oftend wondered if they were scavenged from the M1008's ...

m38inmaine

There was an original(?) 880 brushguard for sale on ebay a couple months back, it was not the same as a cucv, I think he said it came from a navy or coast guard owned truck. I was bidding on it but the price went high considering the shipping costs.

Monkeyboyarmy

I have 2 880's with original brush guards. I've only seen a few.They are round tube type and made to fit the bumper. I'll get pictures when I get a chance.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M880 series trucks were not made with brush guards, after delivery to the Military. some may have procured brush guards and installed them on M880's.
Many non M series Dodges were purchased by different branches, these contracts may have specified brush guards. These contract Dodges spanned many model years where the 880's were 76 & 77 only.
I am anxiously awaiting pics of the one mentioned above, as I have been considering putting a CUCV unit on my 880
Here is a pic of my 1978 AirForce Dodge's original brush guard.

Attachments

Last edited:

Robbie

I did make a brushguard from the M1008 fit..
I had to make him 8 centimeters higher and replace the vertical strips to make it fit to the front lights. (I hope you know what i mean, my english is not that good)

Greetings from Holland.

Monkeyboyarmy

Finally got pictures of the 2 trucks I have with brush gaurds. After looking at them,they are probably just commercial units.I got the trucks from a guy who got them from a friend that got them from another friend that got them surplus that said that they might be government installed.Now if that is not proof,then I don't know what is.

Attachments

ironbulance

The M880 series trucks were not made with brush guards, after delivery to the Military. some may have procured brush guards and installed them on M880's.
Many non M series Dodges were purchased by different branches, these contracts may have specified brush guards. These contract Dodges spanned many model years where the 880's were 76 & 77 only.
I am anxiously awaiting pics of the one mentioned above, as I have been considering putting a CUCV unit on my 880
Here is a pic of my 1978 AirForce Dodge's original brush guard.
I like the duallie ambulance really cool;-)

camo carl

i have seen a few different brush guards on m880s, little push bars, tubular wide versions that protect the fragile grill, but i think the style with steel mesh over the headlights are issue, one m880 in st ignace michigan on craigslist has it on it, seen on airforce 4 doors, my m886 has a cucv brush guard, just had to drill some on the bumper, proximity to the frame mount ended up close & strong

nattieleather

I'm not speaking with any authority here, but I think any brush guard found on a contract M880 serries truck would have been unit installed. Either taken off of another truck like Bobs AF Crackerbox or something like that, or they went to the local off road / speedshop and purchased some with unit funds. If the CO orders brush guards and pays for it with his budget then the truck gets a brush guard.... :) :lol:

Elwenil

I believe Bob H is 100% correct. There were no M880s made with brush guards. I have also never seen a M880 brush guard that had any NSN, literature or anything that would lead me to believe there was any sort of "kit" that would put a brush guard on a M880. The military may have owned civilian trucks outfitted differently or individual units may have added various modifications to suit their needs but there is no "official" brush guard. The tubular one pictured above is the one made by Hickey and was sold as a Mopar accessory through Dodge dealers and was also found on some trucks through the years in various forms like the Rod Hall limited editions. It's also important to note that the M880 series trucks were not really used a lot in the field and probably got more rough use by the US Forest Service, Fire Depts and other civic entities. By the time we get them, many have already changed hands 2 or 3 times through various federal, state and local governments and had a lot of people modifying them so anything is possible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks