• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Build Year Location

Outdoorbum

I have searched the forums and the frame rail does not have a manufacture date stamp on it. Am I looking in the wrong place or am I missing it? Also, can the date be stamped any other place on the vehicle. I have a DMV inspector coming out and I would really like to have an accurate year for the paper work.

CGarbee

Look at the bottom of the axle assemblies... They are datecoded and aren't swapped out that often.
Also, David (I think it was he) posted a "decoder" for the contract numbers that you can use to figure out the year from the number stamped on the dash tag.
Good luck, hollar if you need help with the local guys... :)

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Lynden,
Post the VIN off of the frrame rail,as well as the army registration number (USA or Hood number) and I can tell you the year.

You can't trust the contract date - as it often took years to fullfil a contract.

With just the VIN I can get close. I'll only be at the computer briefly today - but probably enough people on the forum have the article on just this I did two months ago for MV magazine that someone else can chime in with the answer.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

bunkerratte

Hello,

correct time to ask the "old" question: Build when?

VIN: 0741-10108 (on the left side of the frame)
Registration/Hood: NKOBDQ
Contract DAAE07-79-D-5015
Axle: Rockwell Modell C 240 FHX 3 Ratio 0672 Date 226801

>You can't trust the contract date - as it often took years to fullfil a contract.
That's new to me. Not longer than 2 years, i heard.

Regards

Frank

derby

On my last Deuce it was stamped on the frame,the one before that was not.I did find that the number painted on the bottom of the door (inside) was the same as the vin on the frame. The numbers on my frame look like they were put on by hand with a number punch.they are about 3/4" tall and span about 12" of frame.You may need to scrape away some crud or undercoating.good luck

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, this in fact is a very exciting truck to hear about. I've looked at well over 1000 M35-type trucks, and this is the ONLY truck I've heard of that has a 07 series number! It is also the only one I have seen with a 1979 contract number. So this has given me considerable information to base further research on.

In return, I can only tell you that your truck was built in 1980.

With respect to contract duration, I say for certain that trucks ordered on 1966 contract DA-20-113-07241(T) were delivered from 1966 through 1968. Production under contract DAAE-06-68-C-0007 began 1968, and continued 1970. There are numerous additional examples.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Outdoorbum

Here is my info:

VIN # 04H 92871 0539 12041
Contract # DAAE 06 70 C 0001

I assume this is a 1970?

VIN# 4K1526 14405
NSN # 2320 00 077 1616
NO CONTRACT #

I found 19 10 66 on the frame, is this a 1966?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Here is my info:

VIN # 04H 92871 0539 12041
Contract # DAAE 06 70 C 0001

I assume this is a 1970?

The contract was issued in 1970, this particular truck was delivered in 1971, I would think in the middle of the year.

VIN# 4K1526 14405
NSN # 2320 00 077 1616
NO CONTRACT #

I found 19 10 66 on the frame, is this a 1966?

Exactly. Assouming this is a cargo truck, the actual VIN of this vehicle is 0225-14405, it was ordered on contract DA-20-113-07241(T) , and was built by Kaiser-Jeep in 1966.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

hole

David,

I am having the same problem with a "twist" and I hope you can help. I just picked up my new Deuce from G.L. in Ca. What I have found is that the VIN # was changed, by I can only guess was the Govt., as the SF97 reflects the new VIN#. There is no #'s stamped on left frame rail but only a brass tag with new # on it . The dash data tags original #'s were x'd out and new #'s stamped in.

This is all the info I have:

Restamped VIN# M25240
NSN # 2320 00 077 1616
USA # 4B4911

I hope you can help with identifying the year and manufacturer of this vehicle, as DMV will require this information in order to register it and obtain plates.

Thank you very much,
Will Wagner

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Will,
I would not be surprised if that number (M25420) should be stamped on the right frame rail - as well as a specific date. That number is also consistant with 1952 Studebaker production on contract DA-11-022 ORD 367. This would mean that the truck was built as a gasser. Do you see any evidence of this (vertical inner fenders, hole in floorboard for foot starter switch (should be plated over).

The registration number 4B4911 is also consistant with all this.

I suspect that someone put a brass tag with the VIN on it on the left frame rail because that is where people now expect to look for it. It was originally stamped on the right frame rail, behind the axle. As I mentioned earlier, many of these trucks also have a date stamped in the frame rail.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing in regards to that. I had aslo suspected that number was from an older gasser. Mine is M30708. Along with the things that David pointed out, check the right rear motor mount to see if it is bolted on. One last note, check in front of the steering box for that number. My 53 Stude has the number in front of the steering box.

hole

Kenneth, Yes, the right rear motor mount is bolted to the frame. What does that mean? Also found 3 31 53 stamped in axels under an unlegible tag

David, No vertical inner fenders, angled with louvers. Also no obviously covered up holes in floorboards. Only thing in floor is high beam foot switch. Looked in all places everyone suggested for #'s but found nothing. After looking much closer at original vin # that was x'ed out I think I read the following:
M 2200 8 M
or
M2266 8 M
Does that help any?
Thank you Will

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The right rear motormount needs to be changed when swapping from a gasser to a multi. Even at the depot level they usually can't hot rivet that back in place. I'll get you a pic of the number on my 53 Stude and some other areas to look. It's entirely possible that the truck had a cab chage as well. When you can post up some pics of it. That reminds me, I've got pics of the date stamps in my axle housings, I'll post them up too.

acetomatoco

The foot starter was high and to the right over the accelerator, so you could heel and toe the gas while starting and one hand on the choke... way over on the right... there may be a hole in dash for that also...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Also, take a look at the rims - are they of riveted or welded construction. IF the rims are of riveted construction, they are probably original to the truck - and they will be dated. However, from the info you've posted I'd have no hesitation in registering it as a 1952 Studebaker.

Best wishes,
David

hole

Thank you everyone for your expertise! I can now get the reg. proscess finished on Monday. I,ll post some pics as soon as i figure it out , but for now you could see the truck on GL Recovery thread as my friend Will Wagner took and posted photos
Again, thank you!! Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks