• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building Slave Cable

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have built or repaired slave cables, what is the best way to attach the lugs to the 2/0 cable? Solder, crimp, or both?
I used my hydraulic crimp tool made for those big lugs. I had to find thick shrink wrap with the sealing glue inside but it worked easy. I see the reason to use solder as well but i didn't as the lugs were very deep so I had plenty of contact surface with the lug.
I couldn't find a pic of my jump cables but I just did a big 200 amp alternator upgrade in a 59 caddy and used 30 feet of that wire. The ones on the battery are what the hydraulic crimp tool looks like when you're done.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have built or repaired slave cables, what is the best way to attach the lugs to the 2/0 cable? Solder, crimp, or both?
I use a hydraulic crimper followed by heat shrink. I usually use the tinned copper lugs although I doubt there's really any meaningful difference over bare copper.

The issued cables are 2/0 fine stranded copper. I've made them both heavier and lighter than that, but 2/0 is about all you're going to cram into the issued plugs.

I took a pic of one of the crimps the other day when attaching a lug for a customer -

Attachments

CommoChief

Thanks to everyone for your input. It sounds like the hydraulic crimper is the way to go, so that is what I will do. Now to find a good unit with steel dies rather than aluminum.

thanks again….Bill

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to everyone for your input. It sounds like the hydraulic crimper is the way to go, so that is what I will do. Now to find a good unit with steel dies rather than aluminum.

thanks again….Bill
If you don't already have the materials, I can probably make you a set for less than you can make them yourself, especially if you're buying tools to do it with....

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to make them yourself and want a little added versatility, you can make them with Anderson type plugs near the ends, then make yourself another end with jumper cable clamps or other types of ends. If you have multiple cables you can also then plug them together to make one longer cable.

f972ba6dd95ff521c9663e547f01e5b91de37137-1.jpg

CommoChief

If you don't already have the materials, I can probably make you a set for less than you can make them yourself, especially if you're buying tools to do it with....
I appreciate the offer 98G. I have brand new slave ends and new 2/0 cable so I planned on making a set. I could use the crimpers for other MV related projects but, again, thank you for your offer….Bill

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are there different design slave cable end’s where the positive and negative enter opposite sides?
There was a plug used back in the 50s 60s ish the had a different plug but then they changed it to what they use now. There's an adapter that can be used to jump an older truck with a newer one. I have one I can take a pic of if you want.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Externally it doesn't matter as long as they are wired the same for your setup.

No I was referring to the current style plug. Just curios as cougs is opposite of mine and 98gs.View attachment 909496

My plug ends do appear to be a little different design than the others, but as long as the positive and negative go to the correct place, and we don't mix and match cables that don't have the anderson plugs installed backwards from each other, then it all works.
I'd have preferred to have your style as they appear to be a better design, but as mine were all free I can't say I'm unhappy with them.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful, would hate to see anybody connect 8,000 amps worth of batteries, fighting each other, polarity reversed, especially at 24 volts!
The slave plugs and the anderson connectors are both marked. When crimping and assembking them be sure to get it right and then afterwards there's no way to screw it up.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The slave plugs and the anderson connectors are both marked. When crimping and assembking them be sure to get it right and then afterwards there's no way to screw it up.
I just double checked, and looks like all the ones posted here are all assembled the same way and according to the markings, so we could make a pretty long cable if we were all in the same place :)

87cr250r

I use these crimpers for hooking up generators and doing battery lugs. Hydraulic shouldn't be necessary at 2/0.

Crimpers, for 8 to 250 MCM AWG Copper and 8 to 4/0 Gauge AWG Aluminum

Reactions: 98G

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just double checked, and looks like all the ones posted here are all assembled the same way and according to the markings, so we could make a pretty long cable if we were all in the same place :)
I have anderson connectors... and a 500' spool of 4/0... we could make the mother of all slave cables...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks