• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Building the "Glockfan" generator pad with the boys

ELPasoTom

Thanks to Glockfan for the inspiration to build a generator pad in close proximity to my transfer switch. My boys wanted to help so we made it a group project.

I've never really built anything like this before so I mainly just tried to take accurate measurements and keep everything level.

The inside angle brackets I bought were too big but they still worked, and I had to re-dig a hole but otherwise it came together really well.

Until we got a foot of snow...project on hold.

Next weekend we moved the snow and finished up. I underestimated the 1x6 and had to go buy more. The pad is slightly bigger than the generator skids but should still be OK. It feels really solid doesn't move an inch.

Now to find someone with a chain and bucket to lift it from the trailer and set it on the pad. Wish me luck..

Attachments

Kahles56

Go to tractor supply and get one or two of the horse stall rubber mats and attach to the top of the frame then place the generator on top , this will do two things for you , it will attenuate some low and high frequencies coming out of the generator through the bottom of the generator and it will help to prevent the Gen set from walking.

You still need to bolt through down to the wood to make sure that the unit does not fall off from some freak accident .

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GREAT seein the family involved!! Awesome!! Family,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's precious! Agree, lag bolt down the genny on top of the rubber mat. Thanks for sharing! =)

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, you have beautiful views from your place!! Good lookin' pad - are you going to add any type of shed or awning to keep the weather off?? Mine is outside right now, but I plan to at least get a cheap carport type cover for it eventually.

Haoleb

Looks good...

I don't know if you did this or not but just a quick tip for anyone else who wants to build something similar, Don't worry about the height of the posts. Cut them long then once they are all cemented in place and dried, cut the first one at the height you want then use a level and mark each post so they are all level and then cut them.

That way you only need to be concerned with placement and putting them in straight up and down without worrying about height.

lonesouth

I don't know if you did this or not but just a quick tip for anyone else who wants to build something similar, Don't worry about the height of the posts. Cut them long then once they are all cemented in place and dried, cut the first one at the height you want then use a level and mark each post so they are all level and then cut them.
That way you only need to be concerned with placement and putting them in straight up and down without worrying about height.
Brilliant. Excellent tip.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really nice to see someone who can use a handsaw these days!!!!!!
Anyone can use a "hand saw". Whether they use it to cut something, pound something, mark something, or hold something is a TOTALLY different story.

Been in the trades a couple of twenty four hours............................"Proper tool for the proper job" comes to mind. LOL

ELPasoTom

That's exactly what I did I just cemented them in long and then let the level dictate what to cut off. I was really anal about using the level...

ELPasoTom

Generator on the Pad! After 4 months.

Well after four months I finally got someone hired to bring a backhoe and help me move the generator to the pad. After fixing the fuel leak issue and various other delays.

IMG_2992.jpgIMG_3004.jpgIMG_3005.jpgIMG_3006.jpg

Got the conduit dug in and connected to the manual transfer switch. Removed a metal bar on the lower right that seemed to be connecting N and G. Grounding everything through the panel. Using L1 and L3 single phase 120/240. Fired it up and took it to 120% of capacity. Very little straining in the engine and almost zero smoke. Eased it back to 55% then cool down for 30 minutes of powering the entire house, stove and hot water heater included. Things that older gas genny just choked on and tripped overload.

Eventually would like an auto transfer switch and a battery bank, then later some solar panels. Until then backup power is in along with 40 gallons of treated diesel. Thanks to those on the board to who helped out and gave advice. On to the next project...

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I thought you leave the grounding bar in place between N and G if you are grounding to the panel, and remove if you are locally grounding the set with copper rod as a freestanding install (so no other earth grounds on the system)?

Haoleb

Now I thought you leave the grounding bar in place between N and G if you are grounding to the panel, and remove if you are locally grounding the set with copper rod as a freestanding install (so no other earth grounds on the system)?
No, you only really would be leaving that bar In place when you use the generator free standing... Not hooked into your house.. And in that instance you would drive a ground rod for the set. When it is hooked to the house you should be using a 4 wire hookup and not have it grounded at the generator itself as it should be grounded with your main ground for the house.

In some instances you would have a separately derived system but in that instance you would also be switching the neutral. This is not usually the case in a home generator hookup.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, you only really would be leaving that bar In place when you use the generator free standing... Not hooked into your house.. And in that instance you would drive a ground rod for the set. When it is hooked to the house you should be using a 4 wire hookup and not have it grounded at the generator itself as it should be grounded with your main ground for the house.

In some instances you would have a separately derived system but in that instance you would also be switching the neutral. This is not usually the case in a home generator hookup.
Thanks for the clarification. I read that large thread months ago about proper grounding, and I could have sworn I read what I wrote. All the same, thanks to everyone who contributes to this place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks