• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Built a simple WMO filtering setup

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Used a plastic drum I had laying around and some 1" NPT fittings and two filter heads and some hose. 2psi will move a LOT of oil quick in the system. I went through two drums to fill up the bobber in maybe 10 minutes total.

I used my hoist setup from my other deuce to lift it up. Simple setup, but it works good. Put ball valves at the tank and end of the hose, that'll prevent a mess.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a set of fuel filters and heads from tractor supply. 10 micron raiting.

I'm thinking about adding a third filter at the start. A 50 micron mesh cleanable filter. That should grab any chunks and help stretch the life of the more expensive filters.

eagle4g63

Noticed the hoist in the first pic.....is that the short one from Harbor Freight?

If so, have you tried it with 55 gallon drums(with oil)?

I've been thinking of that one.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, it's the short hoist from harbor freight. The chain hoist is something a friend bought me at the rally last year. I use the chain hoist more to move the item up or down and the actual hoist more to just position things. 55 gallons of oil would weigh about 400lbs. The drum, another 40lbs. That's near the rated limit of the hoist, but it should handle it. You'll need to brace the hoist mount well though.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The magnet idea on the filters is a different one. I have a few neodymium rare earth magnets from a torn down wind turbine. Do you think if I used 3-4 of them on each filter it would make any difference at all or just plop them in the bottom of the storage tank...? They would naturally attach to the filter housing and I am sure do a good job. Good idea..!

scoutmanadam

I have some on the top of my main holding barrel and all the oil is poured over them before it goes in. You will be surprised what they catch. I have never thought to put them on the filter, great idea

joshs1ofakindxj

I threw some big speaker magnets in the bottom of my waste oil filtering system storage drum and after a few fills of the drum they were covered in metal particle.

I don't think you can put enough magnets in the system.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a set of fuel filters and heads from tractor supply. 10 micron raiting.

I'm thinking about adding a third filter at the start. A 50 micron mesh cleanable filter. That should grab any chunks and help stretch the life of the more expensive filters.
That's a slick set-up, I have a very similar set-up. Rather than use gravity, I have a small diaphragm pump and pump my oil through a 50 micron strainer/water separator and then through 2 fine micron (I believe 5 micron) filters before going into my "Finished" container.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I threw some big speaker magnets in the bottom of my waste oil filtering system storage drum and after a few fills of the drum they were covered in metal particle.
I don't think you can put enough magnets in the system.
We did the same thing...really don't know how many...but lots of em.
We have several magnets (large speaker magnets) in the 350gal collection tote and even more in the "finished product" tote.

The WMO/TF/old diesel and a little gas is collected in the first tote then run thru a very nice heated centrifuge (very time consuming).

The final "product" is supposed to be cleaned down to .05 microns.

The multis love the stuff...seem to run much better/quiter. The cummins and mack hate it!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, it was gravity and air pressure. If you look close, you'll see the black air hose leading into the tank. I already had one hose with a pressure regulator on it, but the regulator is on the input side of the hose.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, it was gravity and air pressure. If you look close, you'll see the black air hose leading into the tank. I already had one hose with a pressure regulator on it, but the regulator is on the input side of the hose.
How much pressure are you putting in your system? I wouldn't think plastic drums would handle too much, but then I don't think it would take much to push the oil through either.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How much pressure are you putting in your system? I wouldn't think plastic drums would handle too much, but then I don't think it would take much to push the oil through either.
Not even enough to register on the gauge 1-2psi. Just enough to hear air passing the regulator. Don't need a lot of air pressure at all in this setup. Actually I tried using the setup with some old filters and it simply wasn't flowing worth a darn. Swapped the filters and went through 20 gallons in less than 5 minutes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks