• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper carriage bolts

firecontrol86

Bolts.jpg

bumper pic.jpg

So here's the deal, I did a search a couple different ways and terms, and after reading through a few worthless posts here's my dilemma. I'm putting a reciever hitch on my m1009, but there are a couple bolts on the rear bumper that need to come out and I'm just wondering if anyone has a useful tip. If you look at the pics, bolt #1 is the one I need out. However that riveted lip(outlined in purple #3) and bolt #2(in red) are preventing a wrench, socket or even vise grips from grabbing it. Anybody else have this problem or a possible solution? Thanks ahead of time...

SGT LongT

Firecontrol I looked in the -20 under "Rear bumper, tow hook bracket, and tie down clevises replacement" but what you are showing in the picture is difficult to compare to the TM pics.

If you are not putting the pintle and associated mounting hardware back on I would sure like to give it a new home on my M1009. IMHO the bumper just doesn't look right without a pintle.

blackhueys

what I did was get a half inch drive impact some swivel joints and went from the top down between the bumper and the tailgate had the rear bumper off in 15 minutes. You may have to go down to 3/8 drive with a breaker bar for some of the bolts though. I also soaked the nuts the day before with jb 80 wd 40 stuff and let it sit over night. a little heat applied to the NUT not the bolt will help heat and quench with jb 80 wd 40 a couple of times and they should come right off. good luck hope ya get the nuts off!!

firecontrol86

If you are not putting the pintle and associated mounting hardware back on I would sure like to give it a new home on my M1009. IMHO the bumper just doesn't look right without a pintle.
The support bar was pretty much rusted in half. There wasn't even a pintle on it when I bought it, just a liscense plate holder. If it wasn't complete crap I would definitely hook you up.

I can get to the nut to cut it off, but then how would I tighten the new bolts that I'm going to put in? It's also right beside the gas tank so torches and grinders(in my mind) are out of the question. I saw one guy said to use a drill and basically keep increasing the drill bit size until it breaks.

firecontrol86

Well I figured it out. I had to remove the 2 angle supports from the frame to the rear bumper to get to the #2 bolt in my picture. Then I used 2 ratchets(one on top one on bottom) and used a pipe for extra leverage on the bottom one. Man, what a pain in the &#^! At least the carriage bolts on the bumper didn't give me too much trouble, pair of vise grips kept them from rolling around so I could get the nuts off. Thanks for the tips everybody!