• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper hitch: What have you towed?

jgb680

I have a 1984 M1008 with a receiver hitch mounted to the bottom of the bumper. I was wondering what other people have towed with a similar setup? Has the bumper bent or the hitch broken off? I have towed a jetski with mine but plan on towing more in the future. I don't want to start an argument on the site, I know this is a touchy subject. I just want to hear real experience from people that have used a similar setup...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a similar setup on mine. Use it for a hitch haul only. How many of what size bolt are you using?

harleyhouse

Good for a small trailer, if you start towing bigger items, Go to the junk yard and get a
frame mounted 2" receiver hitch.

I have a friend that swung his drop bumper down under the truck towing with a bumper mounted ball.

biggestc69

I only did this once and it was an emergency. My buddy keeps his 30ft 9000lb camper in the field behind his house. A neighborhood kid shot off a roman candle and lit the field on fire. The flames were rolling pretty hard and headed for the camper. I towed it across the field with a bolt on step bumper hitch. Like I said emergency. I wouldn't do it at highway speeds or anything like that. On the other hand it didnt bend the bumper or do any damage to the truck, but like I said, I'm not encouraging you to do anything past the manufacturer's ratings for the sake of safety and tearing stuff up! After that I found on here where someone used a Curt 14082 class v hitch. I installed it. Unlike all the others it bolts to the bottom of the frame so you don't have to make brackets and all that crap. there is some grinding required but with a cutoff wheel its a 20 min job. For the peace of mind cant go wrong. Be a pretty crappy feeling if that receiver broke and shot a trailer into an oncoming soccer mom. Getting by is one thing and I'm rich by no means, but spend the money if you plan on doing any kind of towing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the elcheapo $20 bolt under 2" receiver bolted with 4, 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

I installed this only to launch my boat occasionally. It weighs less than 2000 lbs. I go 1/8 of a mile to the water. It works well for this.

I once tried to lower my 10000 lb capacity utility trailer(18' deck) that weighs 2800 lb empty. The hitch/ball I have is a load leveling unit(Reese). The ball is approximately 12" behind the receiver tube pin. As I lowered the trailer onto the ball(no load leveling attached, as you must have the coupler attached to the ball first), I watched as the hitch just bent my bumper as I lowered. I stopped after about 3" of ball drop. This left the lower flat plate (that the receiver is bolted to) bent down about 3/4".

I tried coupling the ball and jacking up on the trailer to bend it back up. It went about 1/2 way before I ran out of jack length.

I don't use it for anything but my light boat trailer ever.

Last edited:

Sp0okfish

I've hauled about 3000 lbs with mine its bolted and welded across front and through the hook up holes on bumper it did bend the bottom plate a little bit I'm going to weld some gussetts on and that should fix it. My buddy has one welded on his bumper with a angle across the bottom of the bumper and has hauled probally 5-6k lbs and it did fine.

SanAnMan

Good enough for towing a boat

I've been wondering what to do here for a M1008 towing a failrly light ski boat. So, I got the Harbor Frieght $20 step bumper hitch. I bolted it on and it works good but I like the idea of welding it also.

Attachments

chevyCUCV

I use the factory pintle for eqiupment trailers.

Yesterday i towed a 20 ft tilt deck trailer with 2 7000 lb axles. On the trailer was 4 pickup truck plows.

I thought it towed nice:cookoo:

TVOLLMER

I had a hard time finding a bolt on hitch that would clear all the extra steel reinforcement plates from the original setup on my M1008. I made my receiver hitch using 2 x 2 tubing along the bottom bumper and 1/4 x 2 flat steel reaching up, and bolted to the frame. Then I used 1/4 x 1" flat bar and made a strap around the receiver and bolted it to the bumper. I have towed a full size suburban on a 16' bobcat trailer weighing a total of about 9500 lbs. Haven't had any problems yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks