• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper markings/Army

FrankUSMC

I know the markings that are on trucks from WWII, but the new stuff has me stumped so...
Here are the markings on the front of my M35A2.
FRC49 STB 555 P42
Can any one brake this down for me so I will know some history of my truck. Thanks!!
One of the few, Frank

Low-Tech-Redneck

M107, if your truck is marked up like ours was, the 90 C-R stands for 90th Regional Readiness Command, basicaly, the army reserves, covering a region around Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico, and are apparently based out of Ft. Pike near Little Rock Arkansas.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/90rsc.htm

The next string , 328PSB is the unit within the 90th RRC that the truck was used by, but I looked quick at the major units under the 90th on global-security.net, and can't find anything that goes by "328" , I think "SB" might stand for "support Bn." , Possibly a "Petrolium Support Bn." there are a couple chemical brigaides in the 90th.

That's all I can think of , then again, different units get deactivated and reactivated in the command structure all the time, it's possible the unit that truck worked with no longer exsists.

I can add some here. Can't help Frank much, that scheme does not look familiar to me dosen't look like Reserve or NG markings. M1075's however is very familiar.

Low-Tech is right about the 90th RRC. The reserves changed the name of their regional commands from Regional Support Commands (RSC) to Regional Readiness Commands (RRC) just a few years ago.

Reserve vehicles have the senior headquarters identiy on the left of the bumper with the unit identity below. So M1075 has a truck that belonged to the 328th PSB, probably Personnel Services Bn (POL units are identified as Supply Company, Petroleum Services) which was part of the 90th RRC, which covers the South Central US. I assume that the ECS 1-117 was on the right side of the bumpers. This means that the truck was kept and maintained at ECS 1 of the 90th RRC. The ECS assigned the truck the indentifying bumper number of 117.

Most Reserve Units, especially those in urban locations, do not have adequate motor pool space or maintenance capaility for their equipment. To solve this problem the RRCs have Equipment Concentration Sites (ECS), many of these are located at active Army Posts or major summer training sites. Reserve units then "Hand Receipt" their equipment to the ECS for care and storage. The down side of this, for the units, is that the ECS has the mission of loaning this equipment to other units that may need it for Annual Training or other training events. As you can imagine some of this stuff gets pretty heavily "used" and abused.

I was fortunate that when I "owned" a Combat Support Hospital worth of equipment I had enough space to keep all of my "stuff" and I had an Area Maintenance Shop co-located with my unit.

gmayor

Frank FRC stands for Forces Command (Units with FRC are usually separate units at numerous bases all over the US) Divisions also are assigned to Forces Command but don't say so on their vehicles. Here at Fort Wood we have a Forces Command unit and their bumpers start with FRC, then there unit number and type. I'm guessing it to be 49th Special Troops Battalion (A new Army designation, with the changes they are doing, Medics, engineers, chemical, and MPs are assigned to STBs) but just a guess. But would go with the P42 at the end, Military Police use P bumper numbers. 555 could then be the 555th MP Company. A lot of changes lately and I've been retired 15 years already, Hope you don't mind my best guess.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Walter's Deuce has a lot of alphabet soup on it's bumpers

MANG379E WTX4AA 00064 CSE 501

The "MANG" I think means "Maintenence Group"

And, the 379E I think designates 379th Engineers (such a unit does exsist, in the 96th RRC , based out of Montana)

I'm still trying to decipher the rest of it for him :)

Low-Tech, MANG379E WTX4AA 00064 CSE 501 is not a Reserve unit truck. The MANG indicates National Guard. If you know the truck came from Montana then it is "Montana Army National Guard". 379E could be unit of assignment. The WTX4AA is the UIC, Unit Identification Code, this one is an Army code and the AA at the end incicates a "Parent Level" unit, probably Batallion size.

I have no idea what the 00064 means and the CSE 501 could be the section or sub-unit assignment.

The only reason the UIC should be on a vehicle is for identification during shipment.

In all cases of identifying bumper numbers it is important to know where on the vehicle the markings are and how they are formated. Pictures are best.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JLD66,

Putting the UIC on NG vehicles must be a NG thing.. I never saw it on Active Duty, but several of the local guard units have it stenciled right on the front bumper...

A CSE is a type of engineer unit, unsure of what type though...

All,

DONT EVER BUY A GL TRUCK FROM BARSTOW OR NTC WITH A 4 DIGIT BUMPER NUMBER ON IT AND NOTHING ELSE... You have NO CLUE the abuse these "rentals" take durring a NTC rotation.....

Prerunner1982

man none of my bumper numbers are that complicated. My fav trucks bumper number.. 45th 700spt C3

Its been awhile since i have seen my trucks i took a year off, i dont think they mention guard anywhere on them, though i could be wrong. Some of those numbers just seem complicated...

TACMED

Bumper Numbers

First, you are right the MANG stand for Montana Army Nation Guard, with the 379th Engineers, the next set of letters are the Units DODAC the number WTX4AA reflects that this truck was an "A" Company truck, the DODAC is a DOD Assigned number to every unit in the ARMY. The Next Number looks to be a "March Order Number" Every unit has a number assigned number for deployment so that when transportation is ordered i,e.. Rail, Air, or vessel they have a Bn Rollup with the total number of LIN'S, The last number on driver side is a locally assigned Bumper Number, this lets the local commander keep up with his vehicles. maybe this helps

TACMED, WTX4AA on the bumper IS the UIC, Unit Identification Code, and remains constant for the life of the unit. The AA at the end indicates a parent level unit, ie. BN HQ. WTX4T0, if it existed, would indicate a subordinate element, for example a forward deployed company or a section capable of operating independently. A DODAAC, Department of Defense Activity Address Code, has the format W16H4X and changes with the location of the unit. When a unit deploys form its Stateside home station to an AO its DODAAC will change. The DODAAC is used when it is inadvisable to use an "in the clear" address.

Likewise, I have never seen a UIC on vehicle bumpers, either Active Duty or Reserve, and I have never seen anything like that set of 4 blocks of numbers, must be a NG thing.

Low-Tech-Redneck

THere's even a FIFTH block of numbers on the hood by the grab handle, stenciled black right on the CARC, but they're too scuffed to read.

Might have been part of logistics of getting the truck back to the states ( a sticker still attched to the fender had it being shipped back here from Kuwait not too long ago)

It sure would be a good guess that the two blocks of numbers at the center of the bumper were applied for the trip home. They do not appear to be as faded as the unit numbers.

I am actually supprised that they even brought a Deuce back from Kuait. I'm sure that it cost more to ship it back than the government could ever get from GL (Greedy Liquidators) for it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sticker is called a MSL Military Shipping Label.. Much like the address sticker on a UPS package.. Has a barcode and to/from, truck info, ect..... Should be 2 per truck.

TACMED

your right

Been a while since I meesed with all those numbers, that is the UIC. The 00064 number that I was talking about comes from the AUEL, if I am not mistaken

Low-Tech-Redneck

Walt's truck sure got around then in it's last few years, Overseas, Montana, demill report in the glovebox was done at Ft. Drum, then it finaly stopped at Letterkenny.

Yep, makes sense, if they put the UIC on the bumper the 00064 probably is the AUEL sequence number.

If the Truck was excessed out of Ft. Drum the MANG is most likely for the Massachussets Army National Gaurd. It is very unlikely that they would ship a truck from Montana all the way to the East Coast to get rid of it. Ft. Drum is the Support Installation for RC and ANG units in the Northeast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks